Can someone help

Help Support CattleToday:

Kay

Reaction score
I have friend that raises holstein calves,she is having a problem with a calf that cannot poop.She has given him mineral,epsom salt,enemas.She has gotten some stuff out of the rectum,it looked like silicon.Do you think someone put something in this calf?? Plug?? Should she keep trying or put it out of his misery??I can't believe people do that so the calf weighs more at the sale.Glad I raise Cow/calf pairs.

Thanks in advance

Has she called the vet yet?
Is this a calf she had born into her herd or one she bought?
If she can't get a vet out there ASAP and the calf is in terrible pain then the best thing to do is put it down. Then have a post mortem done to find the problem.
If she believes the calf can hold on for the vet then do so.
Has the calf had a change in diet?

She buys like 200 calves @ time from a buyer.Calf is 1 week old.Drinks from a bottle.Now is starting to bloat.Waiting on the vet.

She buys like 200 calves @ time from a buyer.Calf is 1 week old.Drinks from a bottle.Now is starting to bloat.Waiting on the vet.

If its bloating it's a stomach problem may tube it to get the bloat down. Did she try a warm mild dish soap emema. I've had good luck with that. Did she check it's temp. I wouldn't give it any more milk until it poops. :shock:
There is a few suggestions. Also maybe aloe vera juice for the bloat

unfortunately the only thing she can do is wait for the vet. The first thing that poped into my head was an enemea, but I wouldn't do it unless the vet gave the go ahead. Too much of a chance of causing more problems.
This is the hardest part waiting for the vet.
Some of the stuff you read on here you would not be surprised at anything some people do.

had an angus calf like that with what you said looked like silicone. the calf had no poop chute. had the hole, but nothing else.

I have to agree with most of the other posters here.Something is not hooked up right in this little guy.Bloat in calves this young is rare.I do know you can use up a ton of time on one calf like this and if she raises 200 at a time that tells me she is experienced enough I doubt that it is management related.

Larry

Latest posts