Can pour on effect your breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
I recently heard that you should pour and vaccinate your cattle at least a month prior to breeding. I get the vaccinating, but can pour on effect breeding or conception rates in a negative way?

Lucky_P":1z2fa97p said:
http://beefmagazine.com/genetics/common-insecticide-may-affect-bull-fertility

I had looked into this a year or 2 back when first told about this. Its basically started with this one guy making this claim only from anecdotally from what hed seen could have been a lot of other things affecting those bulls. I know their had been some studies done to test his theory and they couldnt replicate it.

That being said i am more carefull about when i spray my bulls and stay away from the specifoc type of pyethroid (think it started with a b) that he says affects them

One class of medications that have received a lot of press are pyrethroids, which are used for fly control. A March 2012 article in Beef magazine suggested pyrethroids may cause sperm defects. However, the article did not cite any controlled studies. A study done in response by the University of Illinois did not find any sperm defects in cattle treated with common commercial pyrethroid products at label doses. It is suspected that over-exposure to pyrethroids would be the main culprit for sperm defects, consequently it is important to follow the labelled dose when using these products.

Just was reading an article where they discussed this.

Latest posts