Can horn scur be re-burned?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nite Hawk

Reaction score
Have a yearling heifer who has a horn that is trying to grow back. ( we weren't the ones to de-horn her). I took a hoof rasp and rasp it down quite a bit till there was only a small amount above the skull, but now it is trying to re-grow again. Would re-firing the horn bud stop the growth, and if so would it eventually fall off and have an open skull that has to heal up like a sawing type de-horning??
Anyone ever try re-firing a horn scur, and if so what was the results?
Thanks for input....

My computer is a fair bit older ( thats putting it mildly) and won't read the High definition camera cards anymore, and won't download the software for the camera
Not sure how long it is going to keep ticking, so can't put pictures from the camera on it.
:cry2: :cry2:
The scur is flat and about an inch high because I rasp it down, and barely wobbles when I try to "rock" it.
It would be nice to just get rid of the thing, as it keeps re-growing.
The milk cow has one too, but it wobbles and is fairly loose, wouldn't mind getting rid of that one too, as one tends to bang their hand on it when putting the halter off and on.
Have you dealt with getting rid of scurs? Would appreciate advice..thanks.

If it moves at all it's a scur. You can burn them off just like dehorning, they grow in the hide right over where the horns grow from the head

We haven't burned any off ones that big, but we tend to burn them off too if the calf is a female or a potential fair calf we might want.
Just steers we beef out for ourselves we don't bother, because they are gone before they ever get too big.
Afterwords they stay gone like horns do.

It"s a heifer and yes it definately wobbles a tiny bit, her other horn has been burned and isn't growing at all.
Would the scur have to be burned as much as a never burned- horn, or would just a small touch of the hot iron be enough?
thanks..

Latest posts