Camera angle or

Help Support CattleToday:

I think he is a bit straight in the legs, made worse by the pose...it accentuates his length but at a cost of making his straightness glaring

If you want to see some Italian Piedmontese bulls from Anaboropi click the link. Click the name of the bull to open the page and click the image to make the pic larger. EPD's start at 100 as average. The higher the number the better. Looking at these is a good time waster.

Workinonit Farm":fgnicinh said:
slick4591":fgnicinh said:
Was wanting it to be the camera angle as he is one of the few Italian bulls I liked this order time.

Other than those legs, he's a sharp looking bull! ;-)

He stood out to me too until I got to those. The Italians don't put as much emphasis on walking as we do. Most of their stud bulls hardly ever leave their stalls. They collect a certain amount of semen then their heads come off. I talked to a lady that had visited this stud and she said it hurt her to watch some of those bulls walk.

I don't think he is too straight. He has a lot of muscle behind his stifle which gives him a bit of a straight look. If you picture where his knee cap is he has quite a lot of angle there.

Ken

wbvs58":2e3rb5ps said:
I don't think he is too straight. He has a lot of muscle behind his stifle which gives him a bit of a straight look. If you picture where his knee cap is he has quite a lot of angle there.

Ken

Ladies and gentlemen we have a winner....nice job of looking past the obvious.

wbvs58":1wjkjdfp said:

Ken

Although I'm not seeing it on his right leg his left shows a little more curvature. You also made me look at the numbers again and I now see that he is not as long bodied as most of their bulls, which explains the angle the camera was set. He trunk length is 138 cm while lots of the others are in the 150's. That's about 7" shorter than some of the others I was looking at.

wbvs58":18c9ivvb said:

Ken
I agree. A really posty bull could never carry his head that high as straight hocks and straight shoulders go hand in hand

slick4591":2ykvk3fv said:
wbvs58":2ykvk3fv said:

Ken

Although I'm not seeing it on his right leg his left shows a little more curvature. You also made me look at the numbers again and I now see that he is not as long bodied as most of their bulls, which explains the angle the camera was set. He trunk length is 138 cm while lots of the others are in the 150's. That's about 7" shorter than some of the others I was looking at.
maybe I was onto something in my first post.. they set him to look as long as he could to hide that he was pretty short and it cost him in other places.

The guy you're looking at is Uro, right?
Here's a link to a better sized picture.
urob.jpg

http://lg.anaborapi.it/img/bb/urob.jpg
I can see why you like him from the numbers, he's above average everywhere on EPD's

Nesikep":3ja3v0iv said:
The guy you're looking at is Uro, right?
Here's a link to a better sized picture.
urob.jpg

http://lg.anaborapi.it/img/bb/urob.jpg
I can see why you like him from the numbers, he's above average everywhere on EPD's

Yes sir, that's him. I tried to capture his pic and it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the better pic! Also thanks to Ken for the great eye. Now, I'm not so sure which is the worse. Shorter trunk or posty rear legs?

I saw one of them with a trunk of 158, but he was also MUCH taller.. about 4" taller at the withers.. Not sure that increased trunk length is worth the increased frame score

I looked and I looked.. A number of them came close, but just nothing that definitely said "this is better"..

What's the difference between birth ease and calving ease? Maternal vs direct?

Usignolo.. slightly low on calving ease and docility, if you have a tame herd you might not notice it
121cm height, 152cm length, 195 chest
usignolb.jpg

Ulfo, about the same numbers as above, better CE and doc, he's all around a big boy
121 / 165 / 198
ulfob.jpg

Veto, nothing below average.. well, except length, but like the one you posted, he's also a smaller frame... he's still 7cm longer but maintains the same height..
115 / 145 / 184
vetob.jpg

Not saying any of these are better, just a few more comparisons.. wish they'd list the phenotype numbers on the listings page to compare them

Yep, been thru them all several times and none have caught my eye with the numbers like Uro. I've asked about the CE number and all I've gotten is they seem to spit out large calves easier. Not that many heifer bulls in the breed, so that number is pretty important I'm told.

So the "Calving ease" would be the maternal aspect, and "Birth ease" would be the direct.. though that doesn't make a whole lot of sense either if they're putting emphasis on "Calving ease" for heifer bulls.

I do notice that the bulls there typically are above average on everything except docility and CE... How is the breed as a whole for docility?

Latest posts