calving season-too much bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

3waycross":3sfvownq said:
uscangus":3sfvownq said:
i can't believe it two more calf bulls. i was hoping calf heifers. but this year, may de due el nino, it is have 95% bull calves. i am hoping
better odd or percentage for 2011.

Why complain. Sell off your bull calves and buy a couple of bred heifers next spring . You will save time and money and can improve your herd very quickly.

Try to find someone with some knowledge to help you select good heifers.

i agrees with you "3waycross" in selling the bull and eventually buy great heifers from the proceeds. the main complaint is that i know the dam with great long structure, disposition, temperament, and milk production. the dam is about 1350-1500lbs., large great black angus. most auction feeders stocks are feed heavily with grain and look like pot belly. my calves that are 3 months old are uniformly large with bright black fur from milk from the dam and the last month of grazing the pastures. you could tell the calves are well proportion. i was just hoping that i could have some heifers calves.

One possibility to consider is an iodine deficiency. A heifer calf has the greatest need for iodine to develop in utero. A deficiency can be caused by overfeeding of legumes which will cause a high ratio of bull calves. If an animal is iodine deficient, it does not matter what mineral program you are using, they will not be assimilated properly. until the iodine requirements are met. Iodine requirements are not very high, usually feeding some kelp / seaweed will remedy the problem. Using an inorganic form of iodine (potassium iodide) can be toxic in excess. Kelp is high in iodine in a natural state. One of the simplest warning signs of a iodine deficiency is dandruff. You can do a blood test, but it will usually only show a large deficiency. Iodine needs are increased during cold weather and feeds high in oxalates or nitrates such as legumes. Selenium deficiency will raise the need for iodine also.

Brad

RPGalloway":5awjoni6 said:
One possibility to consider is an iodine deficiency. A heifer calf has the greatest need for iodine to develop in utero. A deficiency can be caused by overfeeding of legumes which will cause a high ratio of bull calves. If an animal is iodine deficient, it does not matter what mineral program you are using, they will not be assimilated properly. until the iodine requirements are met. Iodine requirements are not very high, usually feeding some kelp / seaweed will remedy the problem. Using an inorganic form of iodine (potassium iodide) can be toxic in excess. Kelp is high in iodine in a natural state. One of the simplest warning signs of a iodine deficiency is dandruff. You can do a blood test, but it will usually only show a large deficiency. Iodine needs are increased during cold weather and feeds high in oxalates or nitrates such as legumes. Selenium deficiency will raise the need for iodine also.

Brad

thank you brad, i did not know that.

RPGalloway":2mhzibk4 said:

Brad
Where is the data to support the iodine and bull calf theory. Back in the 60s the big deal was you needed a highly acid uterus to have females so people started loading up the water with vinegar. Turned out it didn;t do a thing for gender selection.

blacksnake":1axhz6ne said:
I saw one of the AI suppliers sold a solution that you mixed with the semen just before using. The mix slowed down the motility of the male sperm and resulted in higher percentage of heifers. I think it was called Heifer Plus. I thought about trying it but never did.
Never heard of that. But, we do use the motility rate as a "tool" to get more heifers. This only is helpful for AI.
The male sperm is slimmer & faster than the fatter slower female sperm (this is fact - not theory). We breed early in heat cycle (during standing heat) to help get females. Theory is that the fast males get their BEFORE the egg is released, then when the slow females get there, the egg is ready for fertilization.
We've been doing this for many years. Talked to a research scientist about it & he agreed. Problem is: if you breed too early, you don't get good conception rates (all sperm arrives before egg is released). So, we will do this during the first 3 weeks of breeding going for heifers, but than we breed late in cycle after that for CONCEPTION.
We consistantly get most of our heifers in the beginning of calving season.
Problem I run into now, is hubby is not always available due to his work (plant manager for a fertilizer plant - kinda busy season during my AI season). So, occasionally I can "choose" to breed early.
It does work. With our numbers of cows up, I go for conception most of the time. Most bulls get castrated, so they are a quick "cash crop" in the fall.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":17bsc6wo said:
we do use the motility rate as a "tool" to get more heifers. This only is helpful for AI.
The male sperm is slimmer & faster than the fatter slower female sperm (this is fact - not theory). We breed early in heat cycle (during standing heat) to help get females. Theory is that the fast males get their BEFORE the egg is released, then when the slow females get there, the egg is ready for fertilization.
We've been doing this for many years. Talked to a research scientist about it & he agreed. Problem is: if you breed too early, you don't get good conception rates (all sperm arrives before egg is released). So, we will do this during the first 3 weeks of breeding going for heifers, but than we breed late in cycle after that for CONCEPTION.

Heard of this for horses, but never really thought about it for cattle. Then again, we don't AI.

We got 21 heifers and 35 bulls this year.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":nkn194zy said:
blacksnake":nkn194zy said:
I saw one of the AI suppliers sold a solution that you mixed with the semen just before using. The mix slowed down the motility of the male sperm and resulted in higher percentage of heifers. I think it was called Heifer Plus. I thought about trying it but never did.
Never heard of that. But, we do use the motility rate as a "tool" to get more heifers. This only is helpful for AI.
Problem I run into now, is hubby is not always available due to his work (plant manager for a fertilizer plant - kinda busy season during my AI season). So, occasionally I can "choose" to breed early.
It does work. With our numbers of cows up, I go for conception most of the time. Most bulls get castrated, so they are a quick "cash crop" in the fall.
I'm still waiting to hear/see the data that supports it the iodine theory. Sounds to me like someone that sells kelp.

blacksnake":5gebfxoz said:
Be interesting to know how you would "mix" something with the semen before breeding???
Kelp salesman? - yup, sounds about right. :banana: seriously, I never heard of any relationship to iodine for the viability of an embryo - male or female. Anyone have info on this?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1afdlhmw said:
blacksnake":1afdlhmw said:

Jeanne, will you please link to the research that shows the male sperm is "slimmer and faster" than the female sperm? I remember reading years ago that wasn't correct so I'd be interested in reading the research. Thanks....

Interestingly, I didn't come across anything on bovine, but I did come across this on "people"
http://conception.lifetips.com/tip/5496 ... sperm.html
Female/Male Sperm
Really, the sex of your baby is determined by whether or not a male or female sperm reach the egg first.
Female sperm swim slower and live longer than male sperm. Therefore for a girl - have intercourse a few days before ovulation. For a boy have intercourse the day of ovulation.

I have read about the differences in male & female sperm for MANY years. Also, discussed in great length with a research scientist that was working on the sexing semen methods. He totally agreed with the female slow/male fast theory.

what is sexed semen??????? i spoke to an AI- he said to have sexed semen to enhance your heifer chance. he said there is 90% chance to have heifer compared to bull calf. his cost is about 70-75 dollars per shot. i ask him if it fails first time-what is the cost per second time.
is it common to charge a second time???? then, if it fails, i will end up using a bull to clear. in return, affects my bred time.

thank you for your help, uscangus.....................have a nice weekend.

uscangus":3v5sepy9 said:
what is sexed semen??????? i spoke to an AI- he said to have sexed semen to enhance your heifer chance. he said there is 90% chance to have heifer compared to bull calf. his cost is about 70-75 dollars per shot. i ask him if it fails first time-what is the cost per second time.
is it common to charge a second time???? then, if it fails, i will end up using a bull to clear. in return, affects my bred time.

thank you for your help, uscangus.....................have a nice weekend.
When I did custom AI the client always paid for the semen. The first service he paid for my service the second was on the house but he did have to pay mileage and semen.
Different companys have different methods of sexing semen. Some studs you can get either sexed bull or sexed heifer semen. The price does rund 3-4 times higher then unsexed semen

3waycross":2c3yyqv9 said:
uscangus":2c3yyqv9 said:
i can't believe it two more calf bulls. i was hoping calf heifers. but this year, may de due el nino, it is have 95% bull calves. i am hoping

Why complain. Sell off your bull calves and buy a couple of bred heifers next spring . You will save time and money and can improve your herd very quickly.

Pretty much what I was thinking exactly. Get the new genetics in. Steers are worth more at market here than heifers so id rather have bull calves.
JMO
Double R

Double R Ranch":9vhtlzyk said:
3waycross":9vhtlzyk said:
uscangus":9vhtlzyk said:

Pretty much what I was thinking exactly. Get the new genetics in. Steers are worth more at market here than heifers so id rather have bull calves.
JMO
Double R

you are right except a good heifer is almost the same price as steers, meaning black angus. here, in northwest, a good genetic of heifer is hard to find. since hay is so cheap and with excess rain and green pastures, it is cheaper to keep replacement heifers since feed is so cheap. also, they have cull a lot of holstein cows for beef. in return, there is shortage of beef and heifers and cheap feed.

with all the green pastures, i will end up selling these steer's calves before late august. usually, by end of sept, the price drops due shortage of warm weather and return of constant drizzle rain. since 1st quarter of this year, i have not seen a group weaned heifers
from a good producers. usually, you see odd balls and short frame. need to wait again.

Dun
I am not a kelp salesman, I just beleive in the benefits that it has to offer. I only offered the iodine idea as an option. I had come across this theory in a book by Pat Colby. I will admit that I have tried to do a search on the net trying to find something (research) that could confirm it for you, but I cannot. I had found research related to humans and iodine deficiency and its effects. So, in my opinion, I still won't discount the idea. At least not yet.

Sorry it took so long to try to answer your question. It's been busy around here and don't really have a lot of time to spend on the computer.

Brad

Latest posts