calving season-too much bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

uscangus

Reaction score
i have 90% of black angus bull calves and wish to prefer at least 40% heifer calves. i was hoping to have more black angus heifer calves to raise my herds, since i know the dam with great milk production and great conformation and disposition. this new year, i did not expect to have a large percent of bull calves that will be banded by next month. i am hoping next year that i may get larger percentage of heifer calves. luck of the draw.

is there a better way or chance of more heifer calves in regard to bull selection. i know the larger scrotum circumference the greater chance of bull calf. or is it the luck of draw. i would appreciate your kind advises, angus. :)

Last year was a heifer year for me. There was a run where I had 11 heifers born in a row. Began to wonder about that new bull and thankfully he was not a terminal bull.

This year it is bulls. Something over 75% thus far. Go figure.

uscangus":1z5hr0e1 said:
i know the larger scrotum circumference the greater chance of bull calf. or is it the luck of draw.
Large scrotal relates to fertility of offspring, nothing to do with sex of them unless there is something new out to that affect.
Our old bull had a scrotal of 42cm at 10 1/2 months and weighed 875 pounds. 90% heifers from him.
This year we're running exactly 50:50 both for AI and live cover

Wish all my calves were bulls. I quit keeping heifers for replacements when I figured out it was cheaper to buy replacements.

ga.prime":1fn2z93y said:
Wish all my calves were bulls. I quit keeping heifers for replacements when I figured out it was cheaper to buy replacements.

What are replacement heifers going for in your area? Are these Angus or black cattle?

tncattle":1hvuxbn3 said:
ga.prime":1hvuxbn3 said:

What are replacement heifers going for in your area? Are these Angus or black cattle?
Can be bought at the Tifton or Calhoun H.E.R.D. sales for around $1000 AI bred and tested every which way of many breed compositions including black, white, and red. Registered sold there as well but will be more than $1000- probably $1500.

uscangus":yeu2p5i4 said:
i have 90% of black angus bull calves and wish to prefer at least 40% heifer calves. i was hoping to have more black angus heifer calves to raise my herds, since i know the dam with great milk production and great conformation and disposition. this new year, i did not expect to have a large percent of bull calves that will be banded by next month. i am hoping next year that i may get larger percentage of heifer calves. luck of the draw.

is there a better way or chance of more heifer calves in regard to bull selection. i know the larger scrotum circumference the greater chance of bull calf. or is it the luck of draw. i would appreciate your kind advises, angus. :)

The only way I know to possibly change the ratio is to use the sexed semen. We've been a total AI program for years and it's very uncommon to have more heifers than bulls. And we prefer bulls. But it does happen. In 2000 we had more heifers and this year, too. Like you say "luck of the draw".

dun":3l6lmfvh said:
uscangus":3l6lmfvh said:
i know the larger scrotum circumference the greater chance of bull calf. or is it the luck of draw.
Large scrotal relates to fertility of offspring, nothing to do with sex of them unless there is something new out to that affect.
Our old bull had a scrotal of 42cm at 10 1/2 months and weighed 875 pounds. 90% heifers from him.

dun, i will try to find the article i have read about the size of scrotum and relation of bull calf or vice versa

tncattle":1rn2hqzw said:
ga.prime":1rn2hqzw said:

in northwest, south seattle, the heifer is almost the same price as steer about 5 cents lower than steer depending the disposition, temperament, and conformation of black angus.

i havent done a tally yet but it seems to me like its been at least 75% heifers this year if not more. and i was only planning on keeping a handful of heifers this year..

dun":2qmaro2w said:
uscangus":2qmaro2w said:

dun, i made a mistake and scrotum size has to do with BSE(bull soundness evaluation or bull breeding potential. sorry about that.

Beefy":250wblw4 said:
i havent done a tally yet but it seems to me like its been at least 75% heifers this year if not more. and i was only planning on keeping a handful of heifers this year..

Exactly the same here. An absolute buttload of red heifers, and you know how much I like redheads!

uscangus":qktb4njj said:
dun":qktb4njj said:
uscangus":qktb4njj said:

dun, i made a mistake and scrotum size has to do with BSE(bull soundness evaluation or bull breeding potential. sorry about that.
CORRECT also the fertitlity of his daughters

i can't believe it two more calf bulls. i was hoping calf heifers. but this year, may de due el nino, it is have 95% bull calves. i am hoping
better odd or percentage for 2011.

uscangus":1hf8zu6v said:
i can't believe it two more calf bulls. i was hoping calf heifers. but this year, may de due el nino, it is have 95% bull calves. i am hoping
better odd or percentage for 2011.

Why complain. Sell off your bull calves and buy a couple of bred heifers next spring . You will save time and money and can improve your herd very quickly.

Try to find someone with some knowledge to help you select good heifers.

I saw one of the AI suppliers sold a solution that you mixed with the semen just before using. The mix slowed down the motility of the male sperm and resulted in higher percentage of heifers. I think it was called Heifer Plus. I thought about trying it but never did.

Latest posts