Calving season off to a bad start.

Help Support CattleToday:

Devin

Reaction score
First calf of the year was born on the place four days ago. She was about two weeks early. Got to the farm today and saw momma just standing in an open field and bawling. I looked for her calf for about 45 minutes and then rode back over to where she was standing. I had went on one side of her when I first arrived and did not see the calf. I came back on the other side and still didn't see it until I got off of the tractor. The entire calf was in a hole about 10 inches ( that's right 10") in diameter and about 2 1/2 feet deep. I guess she fell in head first and tried to turn around because her head was up. It took about 15 minutes of pulling to get her out. She hadn't been dead too long. Should have checked cow this morning before work I guess. I am going to ahve to check my records from last year. I think last year started off this way too. Good luck to everyone else on their fall calving season.

Seems to me the first one is always the easiest to lose. Wether it be because you aren't ready or what, just seems to go that way.

Spring of '07, lost the first calf born, and proceeded to lose 6 others. I only had I think 46 cows to calve, so it was a significant percentage. It happens.

Hope the rest of your season goes better.

That happened to me 2 years ago. Found the calf in a hole wedged tightly with the head back and the mother had cut the tail of the calf several places trying to pull the calf out with her teeth. We dug the calf out and it was amazingly still alive. Wobbly and hungry but ok. A few weeks later his tail fell off. We called him "Bob" and fed him out. Delicious.

Latest posts