Calving seaon 2016 for me

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Well.. it's about that time of year for me now.. Seeing all you people post pictures of cute babies makes me jealous! My neighboring ranch across the river you see in all the pics is pretty much done calving already (They can afford to be earlier, they get a lot more sun until now), and a neighbor a few miles away has a couple newbies I saw on my way to town today.. little weenie guys.

I've got a few flabby butts and the udders are swelling too.. Most of the early ones I got in the corral except for the one that'll calf first.. she's too stupid and hard headed to come up here so she'll have to do it herself and after she calves she'll follow.. I hope.

Sofa is a real caricature of a cow... if she were an inch or two taller she'd be perfectly round.. it'll be her second calf, she's not much bigger than a year ago.. probably a frame 4 and currently 1200 lbs. Kama on the other hand grew a LOT since I weaned her calf last year, she's looking pretty good, she'll calf at the beginning of the 2nd cycle with her sister Cenci. If Cenci makes a heifer that looks like the steer she had last year, I'm definitely keeping it (crossing fingers), and the same goes for Chroma (who had the biggest steer last year, just not quite as appetizing). Tifa (Chroma's daughter) will have her first calf, curious to see how she does, I'm not expecting her to raise much for the first year or two, she's a small cow but nicely put together, but if she follows in her mother's footsteps and produces the heaviest calf of the year for her 3rd try, i'm going to be tickled... That 'line' seems to put out quite structurally correct offspring and come into milk gradually. Tifa is bred to Marko... my home raised bull, which is her half brother as well as her mother's full brother. I'm very curious as to what his calves are going to be like, I have about 7 animals bred to him, 5 half sisters, 1 full sister, and one cousin. The cousin is an older cow (Alma, 12 years) that makes really good (big and correct) calves every time, so that will be a good test of the bull. If I like his calves, I'll use the Limo bull for 1 more year on the older cows, then ship him when the season is done, I really don't need 2 bulls, and his BW's are too high for heifers.
Prada is the cow that got late her first time around, I hummed and hawed about shipping her, made a deal with her that she catches up by a month a year she gets to stay, so far that contract has worked well.. she's had to raise her calf in adverse (winter) conditions and both her calves have been outstanding. I just weaned her steer, he's about 700 lbs @ 7 months, he was ready to be weaned and perfectly OK with it, but momma was some kind of upset.. She's pretty skinny and ragged, and will have some time to put some fat back on now, she's due in mid may, so this year might be the last year she's behind, and she won't have to carry a calf through another winter either which will do her good.
I'm also hoping for a heifer from Caddy again, Chroma and Prada have done well for themselves so a couple more like them would be nice before she gets to be too old.. She's had 3 bulls in a row now.

'nough of my soapbox.. I'll talk more when I have some calves to talk about, and hopefully Soho (the brainless wonder) behaves herself.

I do... I know their history and family trees going back about 25 years.

It was funny, one of my friends posted a picture of a cow butt on facebook, one of my cows.. and she asked which cow that was... Yes, I knew which cow that butt belonged to... I spend 2 months a year looking at them wondering when that butt will have a calf!

For Marko the homeraised bull, the more I look at him the more I like him... His first calf is due on Wednesday.. We'll see if that cow can read the calendar though.

When I was a teenager I ran Dad's dairy and we milked about 250 cows plus the ones that were dry. I knew everyone by their udder. Now that I think back that wasn't such a boring life.

Haha.. yeah, I can tell all the udders apart here.. I was talking to someone on FB and said one of my cows has the silkiest set of bovine teats I'd ever felt.. they got a kick out of that. It is true however, Chroma has exceptional teats.. I'll post a picture up here in a bit (she's going to calf in a week or so).

Meanwhile, calving season has officially started here.. Unofficially it started on Sunday morning, when Roma, the cow I sold my friend (who also has Hector) had a nice heifer calf..
Tonight one of my cows here calved, about an 80 lb heifer.. Looks really nice from what I can see at night, I'll get a better look at her in the morning. Her mother is contrary and stupid like a sack of hammers, I kept her heifer from last year and she's pretty hard headed too.. so the jury is out on if I can tolerate their BS enough.. they are good milkers though.

LOL...i also tell most of our cows by they udders. Since most are black with very few markings, most on udders, its much easier to remember a low hanging left back teat than a number...lol

Got another one.. Sofa had another heifer, it's sired by my homegrown bull.. looks good from what I can see at midnight.. All brown, ~75 lbs.. was lively enough to want to get up, but didn't seem to have much appetite.. she was standing for about an hour, finally I managed to convince her to start looking, and she got the hang of it pretty good.. I'll check them in a little and call it a night.

I had another calf today.. Hekla, a 6 year old, and good cow (kept her heifer from last year and she's a tank).. I fed them around 11am, I could tell she was close, but hadn't lost the water..., jumped on the tractor and went around the field a couple times before I found I was too cold and needed my jacket, so I went up to the feed truck where it was and looked in.. there's a calf!! he's a pretty big boy, about 100-110 lbs estimate, and STONG.. he was up in 10 minutes and nursing in 15.. he certainly didn't waste any time.. then it was time to play.. no time to sleep!

The first two calves born monday night

Sofa's calf born last night, sired by the homeraised bull Marko

Can't do without posting a picture of daddy. This is Marko now (Will post a video when I get good internet)

And Hekla's lively guy born today

imagehost

She does raise good calves, yes, she has more than enough milk to go around.. with any luck some thieves will figure it out... I do have cows with much smaller, better udders that raise as good a calf though.. a couple of those are Marko's full sisters and mother

it's UGLY weather out there today, and all of last night.. gusty winds and driving rain.. it's good for my freshly seeded rye field, but the cows are pouting.

well, still unsettled weather here.. rain one day, sun the next, wind most days.

Got another bull calf this morning,.. big guy at about 110 lbs again, good momma, should be nice by fall.. she fails at heifers but raises fancy steers

another 2 calves last night.. Nelly (BIG roan cow) had a bull calf at about 4 am, she likes to lay in the mud, calf couldn't find the teats by 7 am, she's certainly not a cow you turn your back on either... Chroma at 6am.. She's got a big heifer calf.. calf was too strong and excited to get a teat into her mouth, so I gave her a quick hand,... didn't take much, Chroma is a great cow, great udder, and totally calm, so it was a 2 minute job.. Then I went to deal with Nelly, brought the calf down the chute and locked momma in, with a little work I got the calf connected and he drained a quarter.. put them in a little pen together for a while for him to figure the rest out on his own.
Going to kick the 5 other calves out today into the large paddock.. I'm going to have to watch them learn about electric fence.

Well, Spent most of the day putting escaped calves back in the pen.. it took them a while to learn about the electric fence.. they didn't slow down enough to get zapped, and if they did, they didn't know what happened.. They're really happy to be out of the muck and be able to stretch their legs a little.

Chroma's heifer is really nice.. but she gets so excited at mealtimes she can't stand still enough to grab a teat.. she's going to be a real little shyt disturber. After her first meal she was already bouncing and vibrating with energy.

Sounds like it's going good.

Baby calves and electric fences... mine learn surprisingly quick to stay away from it, but that doesn't mean they won't jump through and keep going if they really really want to.
Nothing like having a cow you can work with when she needs it... but it sounds like Nelly isn't too much trouble either.

Latest posts