Calving seaon 2016 for me

Help Support CattleToday:

The cows had a big fight in the corral... Kama won round 1, and she was really proud of herself.... and I think it shows in the picture

However, she got her arse handed to her in round 2 and got taken down a notch...
Here's a snippet of round 1, when she was into it with a 5 year old cow (Kama is 3)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZNsfNawQF8

Yotta playing with me a little bit, much like her sister Tera last year... doesn't show any trace of wanting to be wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dTXooQL8Ag

and lastly, here's a bunch of the calves having fun around the old willow branch.. it's the community rubbing post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygL1ivmpsR8

Not the best camera work, I'll admit.. but you might still get a chuckle

Got another heifer last night (no, not from the first timer).. Cenci is proud momma, and I hope she raises it like her steer last year... Birthweight was unusually low for us at about 75 lbs... She looks tiny compared to the steer born the night before. She's full of pizz and vinegar though, was bouncing around the corral already.

Chroma's calf has really taken a liking to playing with me, and Mega's is right there with her.

So far Josie's line has given me all heifers this year.. Sofa, Mega, Chroma, Caddy and Cenci... Chroma's and Mega's are nearly certainly replacements, and there's a good chance Cenci's will be as well... Caddy's.. I'm not that fond of her so far, the lack of Gelbvieh influence shows, and the SH/Limo lacks the thickness on the back.. though for a momma cow she could still do pretty good.

I love those pretty calves! Looking good. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed seeing them.

I'd post more if I had better internet...

Today I brought Tifa out for a little walk and grazing.. she's due soon as well,.. she was thrilled with the idea of being able to munch a little green grass, and every one else was well.. 'green' with envy... Also haltered up Katima (best looking heifer from last year) and that was a bit of a rodeo.. she didn't like the idea of the halter one bit, and she was usually preoccupied with trying to untangle (or perhaps tangle) herself up in the rope to get much grazing done... I'm sure after a couple times she'll figure it out. I'm very grateful for the "control" halter with the chain for the ones like her... a little pain under the chin smartens them up quick when they pull too hard... I think she's into the 900 lb range now and built stout.. should make a dandy cow if she has the milk to back up her size

Nice pictures as usual Nesi.

Nesikep":c2y58e1e said:
Soho's calf, the first of the year, 3 weeks old now.. she was a little wild but I won her heart with belly rubs I think...

The calf in the background of this picture sure has interesting markings on his head. And the calf looking into the camera looks like she is ready to tear off at any second :lol: :lol:

The blotchy guy has a white shorthorn mother, she *always* throws the same funky marks. Yes, the calf looking at the camera is a bit sketchy.. she's getting better though.. she loves belly rubs. I have some good pics of her trying to get my camera strap.

Workinonit Farm":257cvw9r said:
Those are some decent looking calves you have there Nesi. :)

As always, the background "scenery" is just beautiful!
At least you're noticing the calves :eek:

So far it's 8 heifers and 7 steers (it's evened out) and 6 of the 8 heifers I could conceivably keep as replacements, which is pretty good.. Perhaps I will keep them all and do some hard culling in 18 months.

I took Katima, (big yearling heifer) out for a walk today.. she doesn't like the halter at all, but I'm hoping she associates it with getting grass and starts behaving better.. She has certainly turned out beautiful.. big and full of herself

Well that went pretty good.. easy birth, though I helped to get the back half out, and it was lucky I was there, the water bag was over the nose.. certainly a decent size, I'm thinking 90-100 lbs, so she did alright... he was up and sucking in a half an hour, momma didn't get huffy with me, I was a little concerned about that.. instead she gave me a few licks.

I'll start a thread here in a minute.. "Guess the color"... Both sides of the family are very very similar.

TIFA is calving!!.. So her mother is the full sister to Marko the bull, and she has the same sire as her mother and Marko.. and she's a dark red with no white on her anywhere.

Taking bets now on calf color for this one!

Nesikep":3ogpm6po said:
Not going well... way too big a calf... biting the bullet and the vet is on his way
I had one yesterday i thought i'd have to get help...She was actually mooing in pain, cows almost never make a peep during.. Huge huge calf, over 100 pounds.. Small angus cow.. She got 5 gold stars and a pass to the bigger bull herds..
Is it something you cant pull? C section?

Well, Tifa is up and about, but the calf was dead by the time the vet got here.. didn't weigh it yet, but it's darned big, didn't check to see if it's a heifer or bull, but with that size I'd bet it's a bull.

On the bright side (if you can call it that), it's been 108 calves since I lost one, and it's the first to be lost from this maternal line... I can't blame myself for any of it, I think I made all the right calls.. When I saw it wasn't going to happen, I didn't force the idea.. what doesn't fit just doesn't fit, the square peg, round hole.

Hopefully in a few months when she's healed up I can get back my vet bill at least from her, she's a good looking animal.

Very sorry that this happened. Thankful that your cow is alright. It hurts to lose one, but you have been blessed to have 108 without losing one. Excellent record!

Statistics were too good for too long.. had to come bite me in the arse.. Yeah, it sucks, but I know I didn't drop the ball on this, and that's good.. I'd rather it this way than waking up to a dead calf, and saying "if I'd only gone out to check an hour earlier"..

Latest posts