calving Question

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
2,853
Reaction score
4
Location
Alabama
I've been told that cows can hold their calves for hours until they are ready to calve, is this true? If it is true why do they wait till it is stormy,wet, cold and miserable to calve, is that just the nature of the beast?
Tom.
 

DavisBeefmasters

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 16, 2005
Messages
833
Reaction score
0
Location
CA
The nastiness of the weather is directly related to how much fun you are going to have in your next life :lol2: -- sounds like you're going to have some fun!
 

novaman

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
1,741
Reaction score
1
Location
North Dakota
Angus Cowman":2jkhdbv1 said:
pressure changes in the atmosphere have alot to do with it
I've heard the same thing. When low pressure moves in you will tend to have more cows calving. Anybody that knows weather knows that low pressure = unfavorable weather.
 

SRBeef

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 22, 2007
Messages
2,931
Reaction score
1
Location
SW Wisconsin
Check with any of the nurses in the local hospital maternity ward - it's an hydraulics problem.

I remember when our first child was born - very intense storm came through that day and the maternity beds were full! Nurse says it is often like that when a low pressure system (bad weather) comes through.

Bad weather = low outside pressure = busy maternity ward....
 
OP
K

kerley

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 18, 2007
Messages
2,853
Reaction score
4
Location
Alabama
SRBeef":1vfs17cp said:
Check with any of the nurses in the local hospital maternity ward - it's an hydraulics problem.

I remember when our first child was born - very intense storm came through that day and the maternity beds were full! Nurse says it is often like that when a low pressure system (bad weather) comes through.

Bad weather = low outside pressure = busy maternity ward....
It's been so long sence I've had that experience that I cant remember most of it. I bet Kathy does.
Tom
 

msscamp

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
kerley":1uv3npej said:
I've been told that cows can hold their calves for hours until they are ready to calve, is this true? If it is true why do they wait till it is stormy,wet, cold and miserable to calve, is that just the nature of the beast?
Tom.

No, that is not true - when the time comes, that calf WILL be delivered. Most storms are accompanied by a dropping of the barometric pressure, and that drop has some influence on calving. I don't know why, I don't know how, but I know it's true - it has been proven by the experience of countless cattlemen and women.
 

sdcowboy

Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Location
Kimball SD
My cows must be smarter than all you other peoples critters cause they either calf before the storm comes or they wait till after the storm and they have been doing it for as long as I have owned this breed.
Terentaise
 

MO_cows

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
2,501
Reaction score
1
Location
outside Kansas City MO
sdcowboy":305eyhl2 said:
My cows must be smarter than all you other peoples critters cause they either calf before the storm comes or they wait till after the storm and they have been doing it for as long as I have owned this breed.
Terentaise

Welcome, sdcowboy. I am tickled to death to see another Tarentaise breeder come on this board. I really hate to split hairs with you, especially right off the bat, but the breed is obscure enough as it is, so let's spell it right, please??
 
Top