calving Question

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
I've been told that cows can hold their calves for hours until they are ready to calve, is this true? If it is true why do they wait till it is stormy,wet, cold and miserable to calve, is that just the nature of the beast?
Tom.

The nastiness of the weather is directly related to how much fun you are going to have in your next life :lol2: -- sounds like you're going to have some fun!

Angus Cowman":2jkhdbv1 said:
pressure changes in the atmosphere have alot to do with it
I've heard the same thing. When low pressure moves in you will tend to have more cows calving. Anybody that knows weather knows that low pressure = unfavorable weather.

Check with any of the nurses in the local hospital maternity ward - it's an hydraulics problem.

I remember when our first child was born - very intense storm came through that day and the maternity beds were full! Nurse says it is often like that when a low pressure system (bad weather) comes through.

Bad weather = low outside pressure = busy maternity ward....

SRBeef":1vfs17cp said:
Check with any of the nurses in the local hospital maternity ward - it's an hydraulics problem.

I remember when our first child was born - very intense storm came through that day and the maternity beds were full! Nurse says it is often like that when a low pressure system (bad weather) comes through.

Bad weather = low outside pressure = busy maternity ward....
It's been so long sence I've had that experience that I cant remember most of it. I bet Kathy does.
Tom

kerley":1uv3npej said:
I've been told that cows can hold their calves for hours until they are ready to calve, is this true? If it is true why do they wait till it is stormy,wet, cold and miserable to calve, is that just the nature of the beast?
Tom.

No, that is not true - when the time comes, that calf WILL be delivered. Most storms are accompanied by a dropping of the barometric pressure, and that drop has some influence on calving. I don't know why, I don't know how, but I know it's true - it has been proven by the experience of countless cattlemen and women.

My cows must be smarter than all you other peoples critters cause they either calf before the storm comes or they wait till after the storm and they have been doing it for as long as I have owned this breed.
Terentaise

sdcowboy":305eyhl2 said:
My cows must be smarter than all you other peoples critters cause they either calf before the storm comes or they wait till after the storm and they have been doing it for as long as I have owned this breed.
Terentaise

Welcome, sdcowboy. I am tickled to death to see another Tarentaise breeder come on this board. I really hate to split hairs with you, especially right off the bat, but the breed is obscure enough as it is, so let's spell it right, please??

Latest posts