Calving on her own timeline??????

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokeStackFarms

Reaction score
All but one calved within three weeks, beginning Feb 22.
This one has not had any signs until last week, when her bag had some swelling.
Yesterday, the bag had increased significantly but the rear is not hot swollen or any of the traditional signs.
She spent thirty minutes backed up against a small tree, rubbing etc. If it was to get red--after that rub it should have been beet red!
Before these recent happenings, we have been wondering what is going on?
She was the first to calve last time, and there are no apparent things we are aware of--BUT- who knows? :?:
The vet indicated if they miss the window of opportunity, it is generally a guest she will calve 3 months after the others. So far, he is on target. I cannot recite his reasoning, except I thought I understood.

At this stage, rear rubbing, bag swelling-quickly--when do you guess she will calve? :?:
What else should I be watching?
The swollen rear is one area of my focus.
She is just not acting in the conventional manner--from the start. I know they are all different & each time something is different.............
We all were betting that she would have calved on the 8th--Full moon. If she has it within a day or so--the moon will be the best predictor. The others calved on the full or new moon.
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

The vet has been scheduled to come next weekend, to tend to all the others--shots etc.
I did not want to spend the $ for just a preg check visit--if possibly she was not pregnant @ all ( she would be on the sales block).
This am her rear is swollen more..........and she is in her special calving section that she goes to.. so :?: :?: :?: I guess it is wait..
Perhaps I am a bit over reacting but sometimes things surprise you--I would rather be prepared than surprised.

She will be hanging out from the back when she is really close to dominoeing. Also she may seperate herself from the herd and stand off alone.

If I can get it figured out--I will try to post some photos of yesterday..
she was rubbing that poor tree til the bark was thinking of jumping off the tree!

dominos??? we stay she's getting ready .....

One cow three months behind the others seems like in my operation would throw everything off and be very difficult to catch up. Regardless of the reason or if she calves now I think she is one for the sale barn. If she calves now I'd sell them as a pair. jmho. Jim

Latest posts