Calving milk bottles caving in????

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Don't know if I have too big of a whole or what in my nipples on the milking bottles. One bottle came with the calf and looked older. Every time she drinks, by the time she is done the plastic bottle is sucked right in and now has a crinkle in it and will not go back into shape. Bought a new bottle for the next calf which this does not happen to but if I switch bottles on the calves, the first calf will still concave the newer bottle. Does she just suck harder than the other one? Or is the little air hole on the side too small? Soon I will have to buy her another bottle but am hoping to have them bucket trained soon. Cheers.

She is just sucking harder and causing more of a vacumn inside the bottle. It won't hurt anything, my bottles are older than dirt and are permanently misshapen from calves sucking on them. :lol: :lol: There should be a vent hole in the base of the nipple, you might think about increasing the size of it just a tiny bit to allow more air in - that will help. Make sure to keep the vent hole on the top, though. I've been known to pull the nipple out of their mouths enough to let air in once in a while, also. Pisses the calves off, but it keeps them from sucking the bottle wrong side out. :lol: :lol:

msscamp":17s2ao4f said:
She is just sucking harder and causing more of a vacumn inside the bottle. It won't hurt anything, my bottles are older than dirt and are permanently misshapen from calves sucking on them. :lol: :lol: There should be a vent hole in the base of the nipple, you might think about increasing the size of it just a tiny bit to allow more air in - that will help. Make sure to keep the vent hole on the top, though. I've been known to pull the nipple out of their mouths enough to let air in once in a while, also. be nice the calves off, but it keeps them from sucking the bottle wrong side out. :lol: :lol:

Well msscamp sound's like you nailed it agin.We just alway's pull the nipple out of their mouth for a few second's and let the bottle breath.

rattler

there is a hole in the base of the nipple. make it bigger so that air can go in while the milk is being sucked out. stick an ice pick in it or something.

if that doesnt work, you will just have to take the bottle away long enough to let some ear back in.

You might try to loosen the top on the bottle just a little when they start sucking, not too much, they can pull the top, and nipple off of the bottle. But sometimes air will come in from the top not being as tight as you may normally tighten it.

tryinhard

Computer was down for a few weeks. Missed this forum. The calves are doing great. You were all right. I just made the air hole on the lip bigger and the bottles are not caving in. They sure drink alot faster and I was worried for a while but everything is fine. One calf will drink from a bucket but Susie the Angus absolutely refuses to, so it is still easier to bottle feed. Cheers

newbie":9favx6m4 said:
Don't know if I have too big of a whole or what in my nipples on the milking bottles. One bottle came with the calf and looked older. Every time she drinks, by the time she is done the plastic bottle is sucked right in and now has a crinkle in it and will not go back into shape. Bought a new bottle for the next calf which this does not happen to but if I switch bottles on the calves, the first calf will still concave the newer bottle. Does she just suck harder than the other one? Or is the little air hole on the side too small? Soon I will have to buy her another bottle but am hoping to have them bucket trained soon. Cheers.

Her name wouldn't happen to be Monica, would it?

No, it's Susie. Are you having trouble bottle feeding one calf? I know I should not go back to the bottle but I am working now and it is too easy to mix up a bottle than to have a bucket of milk all over me! They are eating grass and nibbling at grain but do not drink much water. They sure get pissed off when their bottles are empty though.

dad's heifer had her first calf this morning. he called me this afternoon and said he didn't think the calf was nursing. he can't get around very well. went down to see if there was anything I could do. the cow has a huge bag, but she wasn't having anything to do with the baby. not responding to his cries or anything. she was just off eating, and she kept going back to the same place she gave birth. i also noticed that her afterbirth had still not passed. i think this is a little late.
we gave him a bottle of colostrum and he settled down. dad thinks if we leave her alone she'll come around. she's a brahma cross. and if he is bottle fed, what's a good recipe besides just the milk and how much to feed at each feeding. he'll weigh probably close to 75-80 lbs.

Latest posts