Calving....how many years?

Help Support CattleToday:

AF Ranch

Reaction score
How many years can we plan on breeding a cow that receives appropriate vacs, feed, etc. ? Also, does this very much between, black, red angus, limosin ?

Just my opinion, but the breed doesn;t matter as much as the individual. There may be some breeds that last longer then others, but it seems like fertility is about the last thing to go. Teeth, udder feet and legs are more of a determination factor then actual years.

dun

Got a couple 12 year old Gert crosses in my group and I think they have the best calves they've ever had this year. No change in feeding, breeding or vaccinating - just doing a better job. One weather factor - it is a lot hotter than in previous years - that certainly wouldn't improve the calves, just cow getting better at work.

Just had a 13 yr old herford calve last weekend. We've got several black baldies that are 16 or so yrs (no one is really sure how old they are) and still calving on time.

Had an angus cow that had her last calf at 18. It wasn't structure or anything that got her it was the heat. A combination of the drought and the calf taking from her finally got her. I almost saved her but just to hot to get her to keep gaining like she needed to.

i had 22 13 year olds calving this year and they are all doing well. some of the angus type cows are starting to show their age (losing teeth)

My oldest cows have been Brahman or Brahman cross. I've got 4 Brahman cows that are older than 15 that calved this year. Seems like continental breeds don't generally last as long. I'm getting ready to ship a 14 year old Simmental that didn't breed back this year.

TheBullLady":nxvp2vfk said:
My oldest cows have been Brahman or Brahman cross. I've got 4 Brahman cows that are older than 15 that calved this year. Seems like continental breeds don't generally last as long. I'm getting ready to ship a 14 year old Simmental that didn't breed back this year.

Part of the reason I noticed it was when I was out in the filed a while ago, there wern;t any flys on the fresh piles. Made me check around and I noticed the cows have only a couple of lys apiece on them.

dun

I expect my Brangus to give me their first calf at about 2 years of age and to give me 12 straight calves.

So at the 14-year old mark, I begin to evauluate each on a case by case basis. But until they hit 14-years, they all are expected to do their part.

Alot depends on the environment. In my area, with very lush grasses and lots of it, and not much sand, teeth will last a long time and its usually the udders that give out at around 15 yrs.

I've bought some southern Alberta range cows whose feet, udders and body were excellent, but because of harsh grazing conditions their teeth were done by the time they were 8 or 9 years old.

Rod

Latest posts