calving bred heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
We have some bred heifers we bought that we're going to calve out. What do we need to have on hand besides patience and realistic expectations?

Chainsm iodine, towels (or lots of paper towels), some colostrum (synthetic will work), calf bottle, binoculars so you can watch from a distance and not get them spun up. All of those are IF there is a problem, if no problems you need a camera to take pictures of the babies.
Read up on here about calving so you know what to expect and get as comfortable with the knowledge as you can.

The more you time and money you spend on being prepared by having everything possible on hand the less likely you will need any of it. And it's much cheaper to buy what you might need and not use it than not buy it and need it.

Good things already listed. I also like to have shoulder length plastic gloves and some type of lubricant (dish soap will work). And maybe an esophageal (sp?) feeder.

And of course some type of head gate or a way to catch them.

The phone number of the closes large animal vet. Should a problem develop.
Liz

I would say that first of all, you're right about patience being one of the important things. I believe quite a few people rush to help when it would be better to wait. With that being said, if you've watched a heifer for a good while (not 15 minutes, I'd say at least an hour) and she isn't making any progress, then she might need some help.

Another thing to keep handy is the phone number of a friend or neighbor who has had cattle for a long time. Call them if you're not sure what to do. And like NC Liz 2 said, keep the vet's number handy.

All the things the other people mentioned to have on hand are good things if you know what to do with them. My advice would be to call for help if you don't.

ChrisB":1rdckctz said:
The more you time and money you spend on being prepared by having everything possible on hand the less likely you will need any of it. And it's much cheaper to buy what you might need and not use it than not buy it and need it.

Most. Definitely. We bought a puller this year. Would have paid for itself many times over last year. Hindsight is 20/20.

Latest posts