Calves grazing standing corn

Help Support CattleToday:

Make that three of us. I'm always learning about this and interested in what Jim posts relatively regularly on his methods and such.

Maybe you can stay around for a while, Jim, and show everyone on here the projects you've been working on last year. The group has changed a bit, so it's a little easier being on here than in the past. No one treats their cattle better than you, my friend.

Fine looking stock, thanks for educating us on an alternate grazing/finishing system.

What stocking densisty (either in lbs or hd/acre) works best?
What ADG have you seen with this method?

Thanks again, this is what makes CT great!

Aaron":hnzvl0xb said:
Maybe you can stay around for a while, Jim, and show everyone on here the projects you've been working on last year. The group has changed a bit, so it's a little easier being on here than in the past. No one treats their cattle better than you, my friend.

Thank you Aaron. I was getting a bit tired of being grilled and maybe fried about every Hereford picture I posted a while back. I put up a hay shed and am feeding the cows from the inside of a hay shed. With our drought and resulting increase in hay prices it soon became apparent that over wintering beef cows for 6 months in Wisconsin on purchased hay (as I was doing) was not going to work financially. I am now growing all of my own feed.

Here is one project I don't think I have posted pics of here before. Push hay bales up from the inside of a hay shed.

Cowsatthehayshed122213Br_zps88394d7a.jpg

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

H and H":3vnpy4nb said:
Fine looking stock, thanks for educating us on an alternate grazing/finishing system.

What stocking densisty (either in lbs or hd/acre) works best?
What ADG have you seen with this method?

Thanks again, this is what makes CT great!

Grazing standing corn by steers, in approx 175+ bu corn as shown, I figure about 250 steer-days/acre.

If I force them to "clean their plate" I can get up to around 400 steer-days/acre in 175 bu corn as shown.

However since I am trying to "finish" them I work at about 250 Steer-days/acre between moving the front cross wire.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Jim the only thing that could make your cows any better is a tank full of Grey Brahman Bull. Then you could ship the heifers south. That is the best cow in the world (if your world is in the south).

Latest posts