Calves grazing standing corn

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
I haven't posted here in a while but still "finishing" Hereford calves by grazing standing corn over the winter before harvest in late April and replanting corn in the same strip as I have for about the last 6 years.

Very cold today, I believe the high was 3 or 4 degrees F. Low last night was about -15 degrees F with windchill down from there.

Last spring's calves seem to be doing well on corn. Not quite as simple as it may seem but the calves have really taken off. I am running retained heifer calves on corn this winter in addition to the steers to try to get some more size and weight on them before breeding season in late June.

The small area of corn open to them is right behind my house now. I snapped a couple pictures of them today. I've been playing music on outdoor speakers facing the corn and it sure seems like they enjoy listening right along the single hot wire.

Regards to all and Happy New Year

Jim

IMG_1218_calvesgrazingcorn123013_zps3c5aafb4.jpg

IMG_1225_calvesgrazingcorn123013_zps5a7f11c8.jpg

IMG_1228_calvesgrazingcorn123013_zps911cb630.jpg

Stocker Steve":zqqe4w9d said:
Nice Herfs. What kind of music do they prefer?

Thank you, Steve. They do seem to like about anything in the wide range of music I tend to have on.

As the artilleryman said in Good Morning Vietnam, "just play it LOUD" ;-)

Jim

haase":2fpk87vh said:
Look like there doing good Jim.

Thank you. Yes they are. I wish I could weigh them more frequently in the winter. They look like they are gaining well.

Jim

- You see some interesting $/bu corn cost claims on rotated acres. Less tillage passes, less herbicide, less N...
- You also see a few guys who graze standing corn through the winter. Some strip combine it and then strip graze it (each MIG strip has mostly combined stalks but it also contains 25% or so of standing corn to indirectly control the grain intake).
- Have you run any what if calculations on a winter growing operation like this?

Stocker Steve":2j5n3s5y said:
- You see some interesting $/bu corn cost claims on rotated acres. Less tillage passes, less herbicide, less N...
- You also see a few guys who graze standing corn through the winter. Some strip combine it and then strip graze it (each MIG strip has mostly combined stalks but it also contains 25% or so of standing corn to indirectly control the grain intake).
- Have you run any what if calculations on a winter growing operation like this?

Steve, I'm not sure what what if numbers you are thinking about.

My options are somewhat constrained by the fact that I can grow very good continuous corn with minimal equipment which I own. However I do not own a combine, cart, dryer nor bins. Custom combining corn rarely pencils out well especially with the wet corn this fall, still standing in many fields nearby.

I've done this for 6 or 7 years now. After the calves leave the corn strips in late April I run an Aerway at an angle to the stalks which knocks down anything still standing, breaks up compaction 8" deep but leaves most of the root balls in the ground. The Aerway also breaks up and incorporates much of the calves manure piles and any plowdown fertilizer needed. Although with the manure soil test shown no P or K needed in the past couple years.

I let the ground firm up for a couple weeks and hopefully a couple rains then run my Pluribus 6R30 strip till machine between the still visible rootballs applying liquid N as 28% and usually plant the next day, about the 10th of May. I plant a very good local seed company's RR corn. I spray once with RU shortly after emergence with my simple 3-point sprayer and I'm done.

This corn produces a lot of feed per acre. And if I use the right variety it will stand until April. The corn gets a good head start on weeds in the fresh strip tilled ground. I spray once and after that I don't worry too much about a few weeds or volunteer corn as the calves will graze them anyway. A few thistles etc that survive the RU I hit with a hoe as I come through with a 4 wheeler.

End result is I can grow pretty good maybe 175 bu corn with one 90 hp tractor for a pretty low cost. At 250 steer-days/acre if finishing (400 if I make them clear their plate) I tend to think in terms of how many bales of hay that would take. The grazing corn puts a tremendous finish and taste on 13 month old steers. The beef is wonderful. Not really finished by feedlot standards but it works for me if I can get them close to my 1100 lb goal by late April. Another goal of mine is to not have 2 years calves on the place for more than a couple weeks overlap in the spring. Birth to processing in around 13 months. After hanging for a couple weeks, great beef on the table at 14 months and in time for the grilling season.

I did have my corn custom combined a couple years and grazed the stalks but grazing harvested stalks doesn't work to well when the snow gets a foot or more deep. While unharvested stalks of the right variety are holding the more palatable parts: ears, husks and upper leaves, up high in easy reach. The cost and compaction caused by hiring conventional corn harvest along with the drying bill most years is not very attractive. Once I get my herd numbers up my grazing system will look even better.

The system is also building my clay hillside soils, about eliminates erosion compared to conventional tillage, and seems to yield as well as any rotation. Corn produces a tremendous amount of organic matter, most of which is returned to the soil in this system. The only thing that leaves that strip is pounds of beef.

Then numbers might look completely different for a grain farmer with all the corn harvesting equipment, dryer, bins etc who was doing this on the side.

Happy New Year!

Jim

Good grass hay and corn grain are about the same cost here per # TDN. So it you can avoid the combining/hauling/drying/grinding/back hauling... there should be an advantage.

I run a little more conventional and rotate crops:
1) Spray out run down pasture paddocks and no till in a warm season in June. Grid test and dig that fall
2) Minimum till and RR corn the next year. Custom combine for $32 @ and haul grain to feed mill dryer. The corn comes back in a supplement mix. Bale or graze stalks depending on the location.
3) Minimum till corn stubble and follow with under seeded oats.

Some areas are not right for arctic winter grazing but I would like to try it in Nov/Dec with pairs. Any concerns with standing corn for pairs?

Jim,

I background a spring group, and a fall group. I have played with my pencil, on running my fall group on standing corn. I know exactly how much it will cost me to plant it per acre. I have no way of knowing how many 450-550 lb calves I can figure per acre. You may hate to ball park me a number, but I would appreciate a shot in the dark. I like to run 75 head. How many acres of standing corn would I need. I usually take them to 775. I personally think with the inputs you are using that I would be lucky to have 100 bu/acre corn.

jedstivers":2pwftbf0 said:
Jim what population do you plant and is your fertility program and different than someone hauling the grain off? Don't want specific #'s just if it is different.

Jed, I plant 32,000 seeds/a in 30" rows. My fertility requirements are probably about the same as someone that takes the grain off but applies a lot of manure.

The last few years my soil tests read high in P & K. I generally apply around 0.7 units of N per bu of grain. At 175 bu that is about 125 units of N/3 lb/gal of 28% = 40 total gallons/acre of liquid N.

40 gal even blended into the strip is too much to plant over the next day. Some years I will spread some urea ahead of the Aerway in a blend if P & K are called for. I will also split the 40 gal and strip half and side dress half if not broadcasting any P or K. Varies from year to year.

Jim

Stocker Steve":sku6aiyq said:
...Some areas are not right for arctic winter grazing but I would like to try it in Nov/Dec with pairs. Any concerns with standing corn for pairs?

I had some bad luck earlier and have a rule to never graze corn before it is fully mature (acidosis or nitrate poisoning) and never again to run bred cows on standing corn (calves got too big and lots of trouble calving the next spring). I graze weaned calves only in the standing corn. I would like to use the cows as a cleanup crew behind the calves but have trouble with the logistics of that. Cows are at a different location.

In high yielding corn you must control the area open to graze at any given time. Cattle will trample 40 acres until they find every ear. Only when the easy ears are gone will they eat more husks and leaves and upper stalk. They do not limit the area when grazing standing corn in the Canadian prairies where the practice is fairly common. But that is very different corn from midwest US corn.

I use a 4 wheeler to run down corn across the long narrow strip I use then put up a hot wire. Gradually I move the wire forward usually between Christmas and late April when the get to the end of the corn, hopefully.

I only graze calves after weaning when they are in the 600-650 lb range. Maybe a few at 550 but I'm not sure smaller calves can handle the corn.

Bigfoot, I use a number of 250 steer grazing days per acre on my corn at around 175 bu. But that varies based on the size of the steers, how good the corn is, etc. You can get more days if you push them to eat more stalk but my goal is to finish these so I do not force them to eat a lot of the middle and lower stalks.

Happy New Year everyone.

Jim

SRBeef":3k7etb5j said:
never again to run bred cows on standing corn (calves got too big and lots of trouble calving the next spring). I graze weaned calves only in the standing corn. I would like to use the cows as a cleanup crew behind the calves but have trouble with the logistics of that.
Jim

Sounds like your cattle are too easy fleshing? I thought you had the dairy type Herfs. ;-)
Leader follower makes sense. I have done it a couple times. Cows really get upset during a paddock shift when they find out they only get left overs.

Do you choose a variety that the stalk is known for its longevity out in the field? Don't know if that even made sense.

Bigfoot":23g7r750 said:
Do you choose a variety that the stalk is known for its longevity out in the field? Don't know if that even made sense.

Yes. Corn variety selection is very important. You need a variety that has good stalk strength and holds its ears until spring.

The problem is that stalks like that are probably also not the most palatable. The variety shown in my pics above is definitely not a silage type corn! Although I did hire a neighbor to chop and bag a few acres of the same variety this year for silage.

However as I am trying to "finish" the steer calves and put some weight on the retained heifer calves I am not expecting or forcing them to eat much of the middle and lower stalks. I'll add a picture of what this corn on corn looked like as I first opened it in December. This is a very good standing variety.

Jim

IMG_1424_Grazingcornstandingwell121813_zpsdcd42923.jpg

Here are some more pictures from 12/24/13. Initially I just gave them a very small patch to get accustomed to grazing corn. 12/24 I opened up some fresh standing corn. First one is them looking in the snow for anything they missed while I drove the 4 wheeler across and put a new cross wire further along and across the 120 ft wide corn strip.

Here are some more pics

Calves1_zps584f0ca9.jpg

Calves2_zpsa2809407.jpg

Heifer3_zps4714e9d0.jpg

Heifer4_zpsf36ead40.jpg

Calves5_zpsa1ea9d75.jpg

The whole idea is very foreign to me but very interesting. I've enjoyed the pics and the reading. Little to no crops here in my area of MO. A couple of farmers plant some corn to harvest and have mixed locally at the mill.

Are you moving portable water tanks with your hotwire or do you build a lane in to a water source? Thanks

Yes, I am intrigued by it as well. I want to experiment with taking a few calves from 500 pounds to 775. If it can eliminate both hay and feed at the same time, it seems like it would be profitable.

Latest posts