Calves and Flyblocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
I have a 4-5 month old Holstein heifer and a 2 month old AngusX steer. I would like to use a flyblock for them but not sure if they are old enough. Anybody use a block for calves that young?

Also has anybody used those automatic pymethrin spray despensers? The ones that spray every 15 minutes or so. Do they work? Sounds like a good idea to me, but don't want to spend the money if they really don't work.

I am using an old outside hog finishing lot and think this unit would work to control the flys inside the covered area, but don't think it would work to control the fly's outside. Says one will cover 6,000 square feet.

Flys are bad this year, just looking at some new options. I have a rub, but that heifer is so skitish she would probably not go under it.

Thanks for the help.

Cheyenne":22efh66l said:
Anybody use a block for calves that young?

Also has anybody used those automatic pymethrin spray despensers?

Flys are bad this year, just looking at some new options.

Read the label on your chemicals. They are pretty lengthy but you'll find which ones you can use on your calves. Go to the feed store and read labels on what's available.

Flies are worse than "bad", they are awful this year.

I am using one of those pump up sprayers and alternating sprays about every two weeks, running the cows through the chute. Rotating pasture has really helped more than anything. I have now gone 4 weeks without spraying and the flies are not bad at this point. However, if they return as bad as they were, I am prepared.

There are cows (ranches) on all sides of me that don't get treated as often as mine. That doesn't help with curbing flies.

Put the rub by the water, feeder, minral, etc. where she has to go under it.

There is a rub at entrances to pens. It has flaps too. Problem is it only treats their backs and not their underside. The flies are so bad they cling to the undersides of the cows. Hence, I started spraying them, their entire bodies except for the faces. The face flaps take care of that.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be reading the labels when I go for supplies tomorrow.

I wish they made a block or something for pigs. The fly's don't bother the pigs, but of course they are thick on the manure. I clean the pens 2x's a day but that still doesn't seem to help. Thought about trying bait out in the walk way.

Will just keep trying and see what works. Thanks again.

Cheyenne":1o1yur6o said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. I will be reading the labels when I go for supplies tomorrow.

I wish they made a block or something for pigs. The fly's don't bother the pigs, but of course they are thick on the manure. I clean the pens 2x's a day but that still doesn't seem to help. Thought about trying bait out in the walk way.

Will just keep trying and see what works. Thanks again.

Heres some information on Hog pest control:

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/Entomology/e ... DF/E-9.pdf

Try a permethrin product.

Latest posts