Calling cattle breeders in New Foundland and Labrador

Help Support CattleToday:

hhahaha, "Increase the genetic diversity"... and they want Herefords...

Do they have any slaughter facilities there? That is probably a bigger hurdle than importing bulls

Petercoates87 that posts on here from time to time should look into this. I believe he lives in Newfoundland.

Hey guys. Yeah I have looked into this. This is the second year they did this tried last year and nope wasn't what they wanted. It ended up going to some dairy on the west coast of the island. But I know some of you find this funny but we actually don't have any beef farmers here. The numbers are 98% of our beef is imported to the island. So the government is trying to push it. My lil farm doesn't fit what they want. Last year in the letter it said stuff like they wanted to compare "traditional" Newfoundland beef to higher pure bred beef. Like I said it went to a dairy. They wanted the farm we to either have a breeding bull or access to ai equipment to do that. And a couple other things. I guess I didn't fit that for them. Would be wicked though 5 free cows!!!

Oh and to answer ur slaughter question no we just have like 12 I think private owned slaughter houses and they r provincally regulated. No feds. That's cross the island too.

I assume The Rock doesn't have government-backed feeder and breeder financing opportunities like most of the country does? That would be a bigger boost to beef production than any 5 free cows.

Your assuming right. The province will not give grant money toward cattle or breeding stock. I'm only new to the whole running a farm. I have been years helping dad but never doing any of the paperwork n what not. So I have been 3 years applying for grants for land clearing and to help build a barn and I have yet to receive a cent.

Petercoates87":stzz2pro said:
Your assuming right. The province will not give grant money toward cattle or breeding stock. I'm only new to the whole running a farm. I have been years helping dad but never doing any of the paperwork n what not. So I have been 3 years applying for grants for land clearing and to help build a barn and I have yet to receive a cent.

It's not grant money for cattle. Government just agrees to back cattle co-op in writing so lenders aren't nervous lending to those individuals with no experience or collateral. It is a major contributor to herd growth and expansion in a large part of the provinces.

http://www.ontariobeef.com/programs/breeder-cooperative-program.aspx

Ok got ya. So it's a loan I'm guessing with no interest? Seems right on. But no we got nothing like that here. Ahh I'm told TD bank does an interest free loan for farmers but that's all I know about.
It's silly to be honest this whole thing. The rest of North America has a wonderful beef industry and what's here doesn't even exist. It's not like it can't be done we have a very healthy dairy industry. So if we can have an excess of milk we should be able to raise beef right?

Petercoates87":c8nmb0py said:
Oh and to answer ur slaughter question no we just have like 12 I think private owned slaughter houses and they r provincally regulated. No feds. That's cross the island too.

What do you guys do for hay out there? I'm assuming 1 cutting, but do you have to import a lot of it or are there any hay fields?

Nope not importing. But with that said some guys import some. An issue that's happening now is there isn't much farmland and developers are putting houses on it. We can manage to get 2 cuts usually one good n the second is a bit shorter. I don't think we can grow alfalfa here. Oats and Timothy n clover are what's used.

Petercoates87":32z601b3 said:
Nope not importing. But with that said some guys import some. An issue that's happening now is there isn't much farmland and developers are putting houses on it. We can manage to get 2 cuts usually one good n the second is a bit shorter. I don't think we can grow alfalfa here. Oats and Timothy n clover are what's used.

Interesting. We have a big problem here, too, with people buying up the farmland for developments. We're losing a lot, and you can't buy anything unless you win the lottery.

Petercoates87":rqb3cdl1 said:
Ok got ya. So it's a loan I'm guessing with no interest? Seems right on. But no we got nothing like that here. Ahh I'm told TD bank does an interest free loan for farmers but that's all I know about.
It's silly to be honest this whole thing. The rest of North America has a wonderful beef industry and what's here doesn't even exist. It's not like it can't be done we have a very healthy dairy industry. So if we can have an excess of milk we should be able to raise beef right?

Loan through FCC with low interest - basically prime.

Son of Butch":334em9fo said:
Only a government agency would call 5 cows a significant building block.

Herefords are extremely fertile, :nod:

and just think of the heavy milking bwf replacements after they have generate enough bulls to cover herds of steins. :cboy:

A.J.":1zbckh2z said:
Petercoates87 that posts on here from time to time should look into this. I believe he lives in Newfoundland.
Petercoates87":1zbckh2z said:
Would be wicked though 5 free cows!!!
Let's pitch together to send Peter 5 free cows. :idea: We could do one of those go 'Beg Me' fund pages.
$100,000 goal should suffice. I'll volunteer to be the treasurer. Who's all in?

Son of Butch":30cawgtk said:
A.J.":30cawgtk said:
Petercoates87":30cawgtk said:
Would be wicked though 5 free cows!!!
Let's pitch together to send Peter 5 free cows. :idea: We could do one of those go 'Beg Me' fund pages.
$100,000 goal should suffice. I'll volunteer to be the treasurer. Who's all in?

You can be the treasurer.

I'll sell the cows.

Always amazes me how the god of government can determine what should be raised where.

What if shoe prices went up, would they provide incentives to produce those there also? Don't want to import shoes.

I thought central planning has been proven not to work. And somebody has to pay for all the freebies. Freebies aren't free. Guess we all have to be hogs at the trough, getting as many government benefits as we can.

It reminds me of another farm (new brunswick maybe?) where they were looking for a caretaker to manage a herd of cows.. total PETA people, no cow ever dies, the land is free to use, but you have to make a living there.. and no, you're not allowed to raise any livestock to sell.. I took a pass on that!

As I said before, I think a bigger hurdle for NFLD would be slaughter facilities

Latest posts