Calling all Simmental Breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a question please. I saw some convo on another thread but wanted to expand it a bit because we were thinking of sampling some straws this fall and I wanted some feedback. We are looking to potentially use some red simmental semen but I do not know simmental pedigrees (we are angus/red angus) wanted to use red simmental to improve frame and muscle (rump) on our red angus, but want to keep our herd docile, good feet and fertile. Definitely don't want to be pulling calves so im also not sure what starts to be dangerous for calving ease but will be using it on cows only about 11-1200#s.

Thoughts suggestions? ? Does anyone have experience with CDI Hometown 246A (Select Sires)? Wasn't sure if he would be too much to use or if there was something better...

I have zero experience with Red Simmentals. Jeanne may come along and have good advice. And so does Fire Sweep.

My only comment is that I don't think you need to be overly cautious about calving ease if you are using the modern American Simmental pedigrees. The ASA has consciously strived for moderating the breed for frame and calving ease. That is not to say you should throw all caution to the wind. On my farm due to the environment (lush Kentucky forage and low stocking rate), my calves tend to average 87 pounds at birth. I have had calves as big as 123 pounds. They spit them out like watermelon seeds.

Red, Frame, Muscle.

WS All Around (black but a red carrier) will do frame and muscle.

GCF Amigo I don't have a lot of experience but should make some really nice daughters

WS Beef king is another highly proven bull that is kind of a no miss guy.

Ellingson Ideal will add frame, muscle and is red. Mature cows you will be just fine on him. He was an udder improver here in one generation. Bought an old school red simmental cow with a iffy bag that was bred to him. She calved this year with a near perfect bag.

I'd probably go with beef king or prime beef, but you can find quite a few black simmy's that will throw you red calves on you RA cows.

FlyingLSimmentals said:
ABS has a customer sale where CDI Perception 254E is on sale for $15/unit right now.

Used him at a customers few years ago. His 95% doc numbers are real. Calves were like ping pong balls when we sorted thru them.

Till-Hill said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:
ABS has a customer sale where CDI Perception 254E is on sale for $15/unit right now.

Used him at a customers few years ago. His 95% doc numbers are real. Calves were like ping pong balls when we sorted thru them.

Perception 254E just turned 2 this past Spring 3/2019

FlyingLSimmentals said:
Till-Hill said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:

ah you are correct, what is the other p named named one?

Till-Hill said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:
Till-Hill said:

ah you are correct, what is the other p named named one?
Prime Beef

Okay. Well Perception is a Perspective son so it may be passed on to him might want to wait a bit longer on him and check out more progeny before possibly trying.

Till-Hill said:
Red, Frame, Muscle.

WS All Around (black but a red carrier) will do frame and muscle.

GCF Amigo I don't have a lot of experience but should make some really nice daughters

WS Beef king is another highly proven bull that is kind of a no miss guy.

I suggest Beef Maker. I loved every Beef Maker we have as females. He is a Shear Force son, in the top 1% for API and TI both. I would take a herd of them! ABS has him. He is the sire of Beef King.
I have had several Amigo sired ones, they are not bad either, but not as maternal as Beef Maker.

I have a Beef Maker daughter (black, half angus) that I used Tradecraft on to try. Tradecraft is red, white face, and a Milestone son. I hope that one clicks!

Till-Hill said:
FlyingLSimmentals said:

yea that definitely wouldn't work for us..... i personally don't want to be trying to dodge crazy head hunter during tagging and vaccs. Too old and slow.... :hide:

Used a cane of WS All In W111 on mostly virgin heifers. Steers grew like crazy. Only got one heifer, and she's a dandy... did s good job with her first calf.

All the above are good recommendations.
I don't think there is any Beef Maker semen - I LOVE HIM!!!! Great momma cows.
If you use Cattle Vision, Volk Backdraft looks super good. New one I plan to check out. A half brother, HILB Royal Rumble.
I have used Beef Maker and Amigo quite a LOT. Love both bulls' daughters.
I have seen lots of pics of Tradecraft calves. Looks like he is doing a great job.

Latest posts