Stacking Baldy Gene in Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull40

Reaction score
Is it possible to stack the Baldy gene in simmental cattle? I have a nice baldy heifer I want to breed. Thinking of using a baldy bull (High Life) from select sires. I've heard that it doesn't work and you can get a all black calf? Thanks

What you've heard is true.
I'll defer to Jeanne, as she's stuck with breeding purebreds for a long time, but the last few years, we swung back to the Simmental side, concentrating on blaze/baldy bulls. Had several baldy cows in the herd that were 50% or higher SM... full white faces like traditional Simmentals, but bred to blaze-faced black bulls, over half the time we got solid color calves, and even some that got white had only small patches or even just a few white hairs...had one we named Lashley, cuz she had white eyelashes, but no other white anywhere.

It can be very hit and miss, and some genetic lines seem to always give you some form of white on the head/face.

What I try to avoid is breeding cows that have white socks, white switches and white bellies, breed them to a blaze or baldy face bull and you can get white all over the place.

These are just my experiences and your mileage may vary.

Latest posts