California TB Outbreak

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
What a mess is developing out of this California TB outbreak...
Here's a link to an update on the extent of the traceouts, in this instance to just one state:

8/1/2008 6:00:00 AM

Idaho OKs bovine TB test
961 dairy bulls received from infected Calif. herd

Patricia R. McCoy
Capital Press

BOISE - The Idaho State Department of Agriculture may spend up to $5 million to test for bovine tuberculosis after learning that 961 registered Holstein bulls were shipped to the state from an infected herd in California since 2003.

State officials are still trying to get their hands around the extent of the problem, said Bill Barton, state veterinarian.

"The fact is that they came from a herd known to be infected with bovine TB, and we don't know when that herd became infected," Barton said. "Our understanding is that 2003 was the last time any of the three infected herds identified so far in California had a whole-herd TB test. We can't take the risk that one or more of the bulls may also have been infected and could have spread the disease here."

No cases of bovine TB have been found in Idaho, Barton said.

Barton and Celia Gould, director of the Idaho State Department of Agriculture, appeared before the State Board of Examiners on July 17 to request the $5 million spending authority. The board formally approves all state expenditures. Members of the board are the governor, secretary of state, attorney general and state comptroller.

"All the imported bulls were registered Holsteins. So far, we know of no link to any beef cattle, but we're still looking," Barton said. "A lot of those bulls are already dead. A dairy bull gets so big so fast that the cows can't handle them, so they end up in the slaughter channels at about 1,600 to 1,700 pounds."

The investigation shows the California bulls were sold to at least three Idaho dairies. A few went to a livestock market. The majority went to a livestock dealer in the state, who then resold them to many others, the state veterinarian said. That dealer is working with ISDA to identify where all the bulls he resold went.

"We've finished testing the entire herd on one dairy. The results were all negative. Hopefully things will continue to go that way, but because we received potentially exposed animals in this state, we're making sure. We're gearing up to test the second in the next week or two," he said. "The third dairy involved is a very large facility."

He said testing at the large dairy is still in the planning stages.

"Our biggest problem right now is that we don't know how many herds were potentially exposed. It will take time to determine that," Barton said. "That's why we requested such a huge spending authority."

California officials are still sending trace-outs, notifying neighboring states of herds who received bulls or other animals from the infected herds, he said.

"This is a very fluid situation. It changes daily," Barton said. "We want to test every exposed herd, to provide the greatest degree of protection for our Idaho industry, and maintain the state's TB-free status so our producers can freely sell and export animals."

Testing for bovine tuberculosis is not a simple matter, the state veterinarian said. An initial skin sensitivity test is administered in the caudal fold of the tail. That test must be read 72 hours later. If an animal responds, a more detailed skin test on the neck or a blood test for gamma interferon must be administered.

"This isn't a cut-and-dried process of pulling a blood sample and you're done. It takes a lot of people reading and recording each animal's identification number, injecting the test, then coming back to read the results," Barton said.

Bovine TB poses no risk or threat to consumers so long as they eat only pasteurized dairy products. The tuberculosis bacterium is killed readily by pasteurization, he said. Unpasteurized milk or cheese poses a potential risk.

The other infection route is through the respiratory system, so people working in close contact with an infected animal are potentially at risk, he said.

"If any infected animal is found, the entire herd will have to be depopulated," he said. "This is a very insidious disease. Any animal can test negative early on and still be infected."

As for the herders, milkers or owners, we're working closely with the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare. They also have district veterinarians on staff. If we find an infected herd, we'll work closely with those people to do a risk assessment. They would make the call as to whether or not to test potentially exposed humans."

Staff writer Pat McCoy is based in Boise. E-mail: [email protected].

Hope no one bought any dairy calves to bucket feed or graft onto cows :???:

Another instance where imports from Mexico are going to cost the industry Zillions $....... :( :mad:

Imports from Mexico? where, praytell, does that article mention anything about Mexico??? :???:

milkmaid":3cehu2sd said:
Imports from Mexico? where, praytell, does that article mention anything about Mexico??? :???:

From the California Bovine TB Update webpage.. Also studies over the past few years have shown that 90+% of the cattle found to have Bovine TB at slaughter at US slaughter plants have originated in Mexico- where in some states it runs rampant...

Source of Infection
The source of TB has not yet been identified. The genotype of the isolate from the first affected herd is most similar to recent isolates from feedlot cattle in the Southwest, many of which originated from Mexico.

milkmaid":bw20iwp2 said:

I wondered the same thing. I even read it twice thinking I may have missed something.

I do, however, appreciate the seriousness of the situation that can and has arisen from what has happened. It sounds like a very costly (in many ways) problem.

Katherine

California State officials are still trying to understand how the cows got exposed. DNA testing shows that two of the cows that tested positive this spring share a strain of the bacteria that originated in Mexico.

In June, the state Department of Food and Agriculture issued a warning against contact with cattle of Mexican origins, and the USDA is drafting an order that restricts transport of California cattle across state lines without testing by a veterinarian.

I'm sorry- I just assumed everyone was aware of the amount of TB in Mexico and that the border states TB is being traced back to there- mostly thru imports...I know most the brand states, including Montana, forbid the importing of any cattle that have originated in Mexico (branded with an M) or that have had contact with Mexican cattle, without going thru a bunch of regs- like multiple testing and quarantines....

Heres the Montana Dept of Livestock rules:
e. Mexican origin ("M" Branded) Cattle:

i. Two negative TB tests 60-120 days apart. The first negative test can be the US entry test. The second negative test must be performed by a USDA-APHIS-VS accredited veterinarians and must be within 60 days prior of importation into Montana . (Unless approved by the Montana State Veterinarian).

ii. Must have entry or cross-over date into U.S. and the TB test date with the shipment.

iii. If the animals have resided in the US over 60 days, only one TB test is required along with a statement written on the CVI by the issuing veterinarian stating to the best of his/her knowledge, they have resided in the US over 60 days. No crossover papers are needed.

iv. Holstein and Holstein cross "M" branded steers or spayed heifers are prohibited from entry regardless of test history.

Oldtimer":32rftvp1 said:
I'm sorry- I just assumed everyone was aware of the amount of TB in Mexico and that the border states TB is being traced back to there- mostly thru imports...

OT, I was aware of the TB issues in Mexico. When I was responding to the original post, it was that post I was referring to, because your original post and quote did not mention anything about Mexico.

I do have concerns about cattle in Mexico that do have TB, and the issues regarding trying to prevent further TB outbreaks in the U.S..

Katherine

Sure makes me nervous even though I am a beef breeder. Yet another reason I keep replacement from my own herd and AI instead of using a bull. Could go to auction and buy something that got bred to a dairy bull and not know it. Seen plenty of bull calves that are beef/dairy cross go threw the auction.
Double R

Latest posts