Pinkeye outbreak

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky cowboy

Reaction score
There's hasn't been a pink eye case around my county for at least ten years. Neighbor told me the other day at the diner, that his new bull had it then I heard of a few more cases. The dam stuff finally made its way to me my new bull (that I still haven't told the wife what he cost) has it terrible one eye is gone for sure solid white can't see anything. Ran into my dad's truck earlier where we working on a corral and caves the fender in. Called vet yesterday and he's coming out Monday to dart him and try treatment. Also have 3 cows with it, gonna get them up next day or so and start them on la200. Any other advise. Hope the bull keeps at least one eye hate to have put him down.

Best advice is to Dr them at the first sign of pinkeye. Keeps it from spreading.
Lots of it here last year, hardly none this year, no rhyme or reason for the change.

All the rain we've had, has covered us up with flies, skitters..don't remember there being as many sweat bees as there been lately.... Man got killed by yellow jackets this past week. Hit a nest with a backhoe and they ate him up...

Vaccinate and instead of LA200 I use 300. Vetericyn Ophthalmic gel or spray while treating and continue blasting the affected eye at least a few more days (I do it while they're eating). Real sorry about your bull!

kenny thomas":cc9610ko said:
Best advice is to Dr them at the first sign of pinkeye. Keeps it from spreading.
Lots of it here last year, hardly none this year, no rhyme or reason for the change.

Same situation here. Dr. Stanfield told me it is not nearly what it was last year. I have not had a single case. I like to believe it is the custom autogenous bacterin I vaccinated with.

BTW: Stanfield has put a lot of effort and study into pinkeye. He believes there is no rhyme or reason. He says he has seen Some of the worst outbreaks in winter. So fly connection is not always there. He believes it is due to more virulent forms of Moraxella.

I think Hi-Mag mineral helps with pinkeye. Last year
I had it severe and was feeding a good mineral but not high mag. Started feeding high mag and it stopped.

This year I had a few cases about 6 weeks ago. Wasn't feeding high mag. started feeding high mag and in about two weeks it stopped. is it coincidence? I don't know but its happened twice.

The few cows that have got it are just starting. The bull I fear is done for. I've been feeding hi mag mineral but they were out for 2-3 weeks, still have to put the back rub up tomorrow and try and spray them. We are in the process of redoing the corral so some of it is already tore out trying to patch it with gates and anything I can find to make it work. When the vet comes out Monday he's going to bring a vaccine for the mom infected ones, they said they take samples from our area and have it custom made $100 for 50 doses

I had a heifer I thought would be blind but after treatment she seems to be fine. I wouldn't give up on him yet. My heifer was so bad she was walking into the feed trough and even bumped into me.

Yeh while some eyes are lost the majority come right and fairly quickly too. Cloxacillin mastitis tubes are very usefull topically and will usually be all that I use.

Ken

Put a patch over the bulls eye as well as treat it. You will be surprised as to how much it can heal.
I had a cow last year that both eyes turned white, but I was able to get her in and treat it a couple of times,

Now you can't hardly tell she had pinkeye.

Banjo":32ir4kdk said:
Put a patch over the bulls eye as well as treat it. You will be surprised as to how much it can heal.
I had a cow last year that both eyes turned white, but I was able to get her in and treat it a couple of times,

Have done this for year. Patches cut from old jeans and glue from sale barn. Works very well. If bull has already lost one eye before it was even noticed I think the original poster needs to check his cows more often and act more quickly.

TexasBred":ghzj3rhe said:
Banjo":ghzj3rhe said:

Have done this for year. Patches cut from old jeans and glue from sale barn. Works very well. If bull has already lost one eye before it was even noticed I think the original poster needs to check his cows more often and act more quickly.

And I would agree with you. But work has kept me pretty busy the past few weeks I'm talking 72+ hours a week and I have gone up to check them but he was with a few cows up in the woods didn't think much of it bc it had been hot I did see him in the pond with the rest of the cows the other day was within 30 yds of him and couldn't see any signs. In a perfect world I would check them twice a day everyday but life doesn't work that way

Last year I didn't clip my fescue pastures and that may have contributed to it some, whereas I am keeping them clipped now.

We have so much rain and this farm is extremely wet always I'm just now finishing clipping so I think it might have contributed too

Ky cowboy":2sput6ta said:
TexasBred":2sput6ta said:
Banjo":2sput6ta said:

And I would agree with you. But work has kept me pretty busy the past few weeks I'm talking 72+ hours a week and I have gone up to check them but he was with a few cows up in the woods didn't think much of it bc it had been hot I did see him in the pond with the rest of the cows the other day was within 30 yds of him and couldn't see any signs. In a perfect world I would check them twice a day everyday but life doesn't work that way
In that case don't worry about them. They'll go blind without you.

TexasBred":3rddzvfb said:
Ky cowboy":3rddzvfb said:
TexasBred":3rddzvfb said:

In that case don't worry about them. They'll go blind without you.

I know excuses aren't justification but I feel like I do all I can for my livestock. And I get the feeling you are trying to be a smart a $$

Latest posts