Calico stock trailers any good?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Looking to update trailers but on s tight budget. Seen a Calico stock trailer today the was considerate amount cheaper than some others. Looking at a 16 foot bumper pull. They are made in Quitman, AR.

Tom, saw nobody replied to you on this. I don't know a lot about the Calico except a place near me (J Bar J) when I lived in Arkansas sold them and man they were priced good. Don't know anyone that ever had one though but I do know the place sold the heck out of them and never noticed any used one's in the paper. I had looked at them but found a good deal on a Neckover that I could not pass up. Finding a good used stock trailer is tougher than finding a good woman!

Just wanted to add a thought about a 16 foot bumper pull stock trailer. I'd be looking at their gooseneck models especially if your pulling in a 3/4 ton truck or less unless your just gonna be pulling the thing in flat country with not many curves in the road and even then I think I'd still be looking at a gooseneck model. I don't like bumper pulls as the cattle can really shift around while hauling making for a sometimes dangerous drive.

Last time a pulled a loaded bumper pull it just had 4 horses in it and we were headed down to the Buffalo river for a trail ride and I hated the way it pulled. I was pulling it with my Chevy HD 3/4 ton truck. It has the big 8.1 litre engine and Allison tranny and it was still a pain whenever the horses shifted around while going up, over, and around some steep hills and curves. Next time we went I used a gooseneck and it was like comparing night and day as it pulled so easy.

JMHO,

J

A fella that sells stock trailers in my area has become a Calico dealer. He said that they hold up well and are constucted much better than the Ponderosa's that he used to sell. He said his customers had a lot of complaints on the Ponderosa's but so far, everyone was satisfied with the Calico trailers.

Latest posts