Calf won't suck nipple

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a week-old calf that won't suck from a bottle or bucket. She couldn't get up when she was first born, and after a couple of days, her mother rejected her. She did get colostrum within 24 hours though. I am getting a little milk replacer in her by pouring it down her throat. Any suggestions?

[email protected]

We used to stick the nipple in and pump their jaws to make the stuff squirt out. If she isn't eating much she may be very week and you will need to tube her, may have to do that for some time until she gets stronger and learns to suck

dunmovin farms

> I have a week-old calf that won't
> suck from a bottle or bucket. She
> couldn't get up when she was first
> born, and after a couple of days,
> her mother rejected her. She did
> get colostrum within 24 hours
> though. I am getting a little milk
> replacer in her by pouring it down
> her throat. Any suggestions?

Don't pour it down her throat it will drown her. You need to go buy a tuber (it is a bottle with a long tube instead of a nipple) tou can use this to get milk in her without pouring it down the wrong tube. When you use one of these you should be careful to get the milk to go down the esophagus and not the trachea. I woould reccommend giving her a mixture of sugar and electrolytes instead of milk the first time, to build up some energy in her. If there is any colostrum left i would go ahead and give it to her as soon as possible because some will still be absorbed, and some is better than none. Good luck and watch for scours.

I have heard of putting Karo syrup on the roof of their mouth. It makes them try to get it off and creates a sucking reflex.

Like getting a peanut butter sandwich stuck to the roof of your mouth.

> I have a week-old calf that won't
> suck from a bottle or bucket. She
> couldn't get up when she was first
> born, and after a couple of days,
> her mother rejected her. She did
> get colostrum within 24 hours
> though. I am getting a little milk
> replacer in her by pouring it down
> her throat. Any suggestions?

[email protected]

Put honey or molasses on the nipple. They will taste the sweetness and be interested in it.

> We used to stick the nipple in and
> pump their jaws to make the stuff
> squirt out. If she isn't eating
> much she may be very week and you
> will need to tube her, may have to
> do that for some time until she
> gets stronger and learns to suck

> dunmovin farms

[email protected]