calf won't stand

Help Support CattleToday:

Breezy

Reaction score
Hi all, found this board by looking up stuff on my downed calf. He's 2 months old and was limping (It looked like he was walking on his tiptoe) on his left front leg for a while. Figured he twisted something but he never got better on it and his Momma is mean enough we couldln't get him away. Then he started wobbling on his back legs. Next day we found him stretched out on his side, we brought up to the barn (think his mom had given up on him) Been giving him pen. and he seemed to perk up some and he's eating grain now and he drinks good (from a pepsi bottle :lol: ) One vet didn't return my call another said it was grass tetanus(?) but his legs bend. He lays out flat on his right side but will sit up on his left. I'm just the babysitter and the in-laws say give up on him and don't bother taking him to the vet. But after hand feeding the sucker I can't give up on him yet. Sorry for the book but I wanted to give as much info as I could. Oh, no heat in any of his joints. Thanks bunchs, Breezy

Oh boy! Can you load that calf up and take him to the vet? Or ask a vet to sell you some Bose, maybe? It's selenium with Vit. E.

I don't know if that will help, but since you haven't gotten any other response, maybe my lack of knowledge with wobbly legged calves will draw some responses out.

Also, electrolytes seem to perk my calves up...

I'd sure try to get a vet to at least look at the calf...

Alice

Roll him over several times a day and a shot of Calcitad won't hurt. As long as he is eating you can't give up. in fact even after he stopped eating all hope isn't lost.

We are rolling him over a couple times a day to keep from getting the sores and his legs from falling asleep. He's eating good (as far as I can tell, a large country crock bowl full twice a day) And he's got drinking out of that Pepsi bottle down pat. What is Calcitad and what is it for? I'm going to call now about the Bose. I talked to my neighbor this morning and he just scratched his head, he'd never heard of this happening. Thanks for the help and I'll tell you what the vet says. Breezy

Well I took the calf in to the vet today and he's got navel ill. First time I'd seen this vet and really liked him. He gave the calf a shot of Nuflor and Banamine and some vitamin B. Took the calf back home and dropped him off and had to leave for a couple of hours, came back and he was sitting up panting lilke a dog and hot. He had moved about 20 ft from where we had left him. Had a knot on his neck also. Put in a call to the vet as I thought the calf had a reaction to the shot. He said he'd never seen a reaction to Nuflor and to hose him down and see what happend. Wasn't much longer that he started eating again. I'm thinking I should have named this calf Touble...But thanks to the reseach that I did on this board I was at least able to act like I knew what I was doing :lol: Thanks bunches !!! Breezy

Breezy":3450gclg said:
Well I took the calf in to the vet today and he's got navel ill. First time I'd seen this vet and really liked him. He gave the calf a shot of Nuflor and Banamine and some vitamin B. Took the calf back home and dropped him off and had to leave for a couple of hours, came back and he was sitting up panting lilke a dog and hot. He had moved about 20 ft from where we had left him. Had a knot on his neck also. Put in a call to the vet as I thought the calf had a reaction to the shot. He said he'd never seen a reaction to Nuflor and to hose him down and see what happend. Wasn't much longer that he started eating again. I'm thinking I should have named this calf Touble...But thanks to the reseach that I did on this board I was at least able to act like I knew what I was doing :lol: Thanks bunches !!! Breezy

Breezy, you are welcome. And I'm so glad you found a receptive vet! Remember his/her name...and remember him/her at Christmas!

Hang tough with that calf...

Alice

Alice you may not hear from me on here much as I don't have alot of know how to share when it comes to cows. :oops: :lol: But I'll be reading and learning!!!! Now if you got any questions on sewing or knitting I can answer those!! I'll let you know the out come of this feller. Breezy

Breezy":3tcs4yvx said:
Alice you may not hear from me on here much as I don't have alot of know how to share when it comes to cows. :oops: :lol: But I'll be reading and learning!!!! Now if you got any questions on sewing or knitting I can answer those!! I'll let you know the out come of this feller. Breezy

I look forward to it! :)

Alice

On top of what everyone else has said, my grandpa always gave trouble calves an egg when he gave them milk. Beats me why, but it always helped give them an edge up for recovery.

Latest posts