Calf with tongue out

Help Support CattleToday:

GuitarZan

Reaction score
I have a new-born calf (about 2 wks. old) that goes around with his tongue hanging out about half-way. At first it was only out an inch or so but lately it is out what looks like 3 or 4 inches. The calf appears to be healthy but gaunt looking. I plan to catch him tommorrow and investigate further. (also call vet for advice) Will check down his throat and probably give him a penicillon shot and some beef nutri-drench. I have never seen this before. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? Any help will be appreciated.

thanks.

Guitarzan

Be sure to watch for cough, you dont want lung damage to develope. We had a calf about 2 months ago and she had lung worms wich made her cough and tounge hang out.(BRD)
We called the vet and she gave us an atibiotic and some vitamin E and she is doing much better.

Highly suspect one of two things. repiratory issues, or in rare occurances. whne a calf has had a very hard birth, sometimes they become dummy claves, and they have that tongue hanging out, and sometimes have trouble feeding. Or it is also posible there is a foriegn object somewhere there. I would check for temps, and my first suspicion would be respiratory. Good luck :cboy:

Thanks for the advice ! All is well, we caught the calf last night and removed a large ball of grass lodged in the calf's throat ! I could not believe it! Never before have I seen such as this raising cattle. Gave calf a penicillin shot and some powdered milk with DIAQ for electrolytes and vitamins. Calf is much better. He wasn't week yesterday as he kicked me and caught rope around my guitar picking hand. Oh well, comes with the territority.

GuitarZan

img_0347.jpg

Latest posts