calf with over active tear ducts

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I have a steer calf that was born mid dec. . His eyes are tearing alot . I've seen tears drip from his eyes. The eyes look good no swelling on redness a small amount of matting . Calf acts like he fells good ,active eats good .Have not contacted vet. This is a black calf. Could this be pink eye ? Thanks for your help . If it is pink eye How should I treat ?

It could be a scratch but this could also lead to pinkeye. If he is easily penned up give him a good dose of LA200 and repeat if possible as per label.

rjbovine":3monyugn said:
I have a steer calf that was born mid dec. . His eyes are tearing alot . I've seen tears drip from his eyes. The eyes look good no swelling on redness a small amount of matting . Calf acts like he fells good ,active eats good .Have not contacted vet. This is a black calf. Could this be pink eye ? Thanks for your help . If it is pink eye How should I treat ?
Maybe he is crying because his daddy ran off with another cow.

its got tobe the start of pink eye.he needs tobe dr.do you see a blue spot in his eye.

I had some dairy calves come down with pinkeye, an old cowboy/rancher told me to inject some Carnation canned milk under the skin and that would clear it up. I did and It did. That was around 1978. It worked for me.

i've never had a black animal come down with pinkeye and i've never had any animal come down with it in cold weather. i guess it can happen. when pinkeye is in sort of a middle stage the eyes become crusty. in the late stage the eye develops a film that appears milky. the remedy that i use is vaccination against pinkeye. it seems different strains are continually popping up, so consulting an outfit like Valley Vet can help you choose the correct vaccine. i have never doctored pinkeye but i know it is treatable, as Jo suggested above. i think the first thing is a positive diagnosis. in my experience, pinkeye and fly season go hand in hand. there are numerous posts on this forum concerning pinkeye, a search on the subject might be helpful.......

tsmaxx47":1c3denkd said:
i've never had a black animal come down with pinkeye and i've never had any animal come down with it in cold weather. i guess it can happen. when pinkeye is in sort of a middle stage the eyes become crusty. in the late stage the eye develops a film that appears milky. the remedy that i use is vaccination against pinkeye. it seems different strains are continually popping up, so consulting an outfit like Valley Vet can help you choose the correct vaccine. i have never doctored pinkeye but i know it is treatable, as Jo suggested above. i think the first thing is a positive diagnosis. in my experience, pinkeye and fly season go hand in hand. there are numerous posts on this forum concerning pinkeye, a search on the subject might be helpful.......

Me either until a couple of years back. Pink eye in brangus in December. Go figure.

Signs of Pink Eye
•The incubation period is usually 2-3 days but can be up to 3 weeks after infection.
•One or both eyes may be affected.
•The eye becomes watery, the lining under the eyelid becomes red and inflamed and the animal blinks repeatedly and diverts the affected eye(s) away from bright sunlight.
•A small unclear area appears in the centre of the eye. Within a few hours a faint haye appears which becomes denser. After 48-72 hours the whole cornea may be unclear, blinding the animal in that eye. If the eye is hazy white to blue this is due to accumulation of fluid. If it is milky white or yellow this is due to white blood cell infiltration and indicates severe infection.
•Blood vessels invade from the edge of the cornea.
•A small ulcer is apparent near the centre of the cornea.
•Continued active ulceration may cause the cornea to rupture.
•Appetite is often suppressed due to pain and visual impairment, milk yield is likely to drop and there may be loss of weight.
•Most animals slowly recover over a period of about a month, sometimes a small white scar remains. About 2% are left blind in teh affected eye. In severe cases the eye becomes conical in shape, with ulceration at the tip. These eyes are liable to rupture.

Signs of Eye Worm
•Excessive production of tears which may contain pus.
•Avoiding sunlight.
•Inflammation of the thin membrane covering the white of teh eye and the inner surface of the eyelid (Conjunctivitis).
•Cloudiness of the cornea and sometimes ulceration and piercing of the cornea.
•Lack of response to treatment with antibiotics.

Latest posts