calf with chronic cough

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old heifer calf here that had a serious case of pnemonia when she was just a couple days old. Treated her with antibiotics, and she appears to have recovered, but she has a chronic cough that hasn't ever gone away.

Might she still have a lingering infection that I could treat with a heavy dose of antibiotics? or might her lungs have been damaged from having had pnemonia? If you had a calf like this, what would you suspect and what would you do?

Thanks-

A serious pneumonia will leave scarring that can have permanent problems. If the calf is temperature free, there is no more need for antibiotics. The cough may persist. We sometimes get sale barn calves that never clear up completely. Usually dont grow much either.

G&L

we see the same in stocker cattle g & l. call em "lungers" sometimes they do fair but they never do gain as well as a healthy calf. you can sure pick them out when you go out to gather too. they will be at the rear of the herd and panting like crazy trying to keep up. wish there were something a guy could do for them but its no doubt permanent scarring like you said.
bif

I had a heifer born last spring that had had pneumonia and afterwards had a cough also. The calf seemed healthy on every aspect except for the cough. I did nothing but made sure I gave her a close look every time in the field to make sure she was okay and after several more months the cough finally disappeared. This isn't to say it will be the same with yours but there is a chance it could go away. Mine is just as healthy and has gained as fast as all the others she is with despite having the cough for several months. If she looks healthy and is eating okay I'd say just keep a little closer eye on her just in case and not worry unless you see different.

Thanks for the replies; I've been out of town the last week, so sorry about the delayed response to you all.

Vicky - I ran a search for enzootic pnemonia, and I found basic information on it, prevention, etc, but no cure. The Merck Vet Manual reads:

Enzootic pneumonia of calves is a name used to designate infectious respiratory disease in calves. The term viral pneumonia of calves is sometimes used but is not preferred based on the current understanding of etiology and pathogenesis. Enzootic pneumonia is primarily a problem in calves <6 mo old but may be seen in calves up to 1 yr of age. It is more common in dairy than in beef calves

Is there no cure or anything I can do for this calf? I would think "infectious respiratory disease" implies that it could be treated in some way...or not? And if we're dealing with something "infectious", do I need to worry about my other calves catching this from her?

jgn - it would sure be nice if this cough would clear up with the warmth and sunshine! ;-) Did your heifer's cough return in the winter?

No it did not. She has grown to be a fine looking heifer about ready to be bred. Hope yours works out also.

Latest posts