Calf Weight versus Age

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
Here is a newbee question for ya'll.
I went to the Auction barn and purchased two Red Brangus calfs. One weighed in at 270 lbs and the other at 380 lbs. Can anyone out there estimate aproximatly how old they would be at that weight? I was guessing 4 -5 months old but not sure.

One other thing, Since I brought them to my place which consists of 10 acres of pasture and trees. They have bawled alot which I expected since this was probably their first time away from their mother and being weaned. So much bawling that they sound hoarse after 3 days. Is this normal for calfs to go hoarse from all the bawling?

Ps. They have the company of two other yearling Red Brangus that are on the property. I've heard this can help during the stressful time of weaning.

Thanks in advance!

JS

Normal. but next time you may consider the fact that what occured there was sale barn weaning..... all to common....... the calves were a bit young to be taken from mom and weaned in the field, so I suspect they were taken day of sale, and force weaned.

If you have a quiet and secure place, like a barn stall, that would be a better place to start them off on your farm for several reasons. Secure, means that they won't try to hit the road looking for mom, and they won't get out to get hurt some where. Plus it gives them a place of reference, to call home base so to speak.

Quiet and small, even a bit on the dark side,means that they are easier to calm down, as they are not exposed to so much new stimulia, and gives you a chance to 'bond' with them a bit, by feeding and interacting with them. Also, if they happen to get stressed out and show signs of weakness or sickness, you now have them in a good spot , instead of trying to chase them all over a pasture and making matters worse. Plus if they picked up some kinda bug at the sale barn, it sure makes it easier to treat, not to mention, that you have kept it away from your current resident cattle.

We have always given any new cattle a chance to calm down and chill out in a quiet part of our farm before they are let loose for the above reasons. And it's in my opinion, that this is especially true when you are dealing with calves that are being weaned in such a manner.

Good Luck! :cboy:

Jerry 27150-says -I would guess 3-4 months. if you put these in a barn they will get sick, keep them outside on grass

Why do you think they will get sick??

ever buy any just weaned calves & put them in a barn? they will start coughing in a couple of days. most anyone that buys them has a grass pasture to put them in

I buy these type of calves regularly. I do pretty much as medic said. I spray the stalls down with water and clorox a couple of days before arrival. I don't seem to have problems with coughing except the ones that were coughing at purchase. These go into a differant section. I leave them in the stalls for a couple of days. Then they get turned into a small grass lot for a couple of weeks before joining the herd. That way I can weed out the problems.

Thanks for all the tips. I'll keep those in mind if I decide to buy more.

Are there any long term effects on calfs that were weaned early at 3 - 4 months versus those that are weaned at lets say 6 months? Body growth etc...

Thanks again. I love this website. Finally I can get my newbee questioned answered.

Yea, they will not grow off as well as a calf raised by momma. The best thing for a calf hangs under his momma.

Weaned at that age/size, they're going to need grain to grow out well. Grass and hay just don;t have the nutrition that baby cavles need.

dun

I agree....weaned at the sale barn... way to early in my opnion We keep them on their mamas until they are 650-700 lbs. and the dams are in the second trimester and are started on good high protein alfalfa...just makes a better calf and quite a bit bigger than the orphans.

Love them Baldies

txfishing,

Check with your local feed store...for calf starter type feed with a weaning stress relief mixture it is suppose to help. They may or may not have been started on creep feed so it may be all new to them. Company seems to help...they're looking for mom..keep an eye on 'em.

Thanks for all the help.
The two calfs seems to be doing fine for now. They are eating lots of grass and have calm down since I brought them home.

txfishing

jerry27150":1homouxn said:
most anyone that buys them has a grass pasture to put them in

I disagree. Calves that we raise and wean are always supplemented with feed, as are any weaning calves that we buy. ALWAYS! That is also how everyone around here does it.

Latest posts