calf unknown problem hide appears to be coming off

Help Support CattleToday:

dairyman1

Reaction score
- bought 6 appeared to be healthy dairy calves at the stockyard yesterday. Brought them home all ate good and acting good. This morning went to the barn and I noticed one of the bigger calves has a spot about the size of your fist it appears he is going to lose the hide, hair, and all. It looked to be still attached on examination but like he is having an injection site reaction. The spot is hard and when I touch it, it felt like I was going to do more damage touching it and possibly letting it fall off. Has anyone ever heard or seen this? Appeared there was blood beind the segment. The spot is a little anterior of the shoulder joint. I separated him as a precaution. Calf still eating good and acting normal.

Google photosensitivity, spring eczema or facial eczema and see if it looks like that.

There are other possibilities. One time I pointed out some bald patches my calves had along their spine that I thought was eczema, and was told it was probably fungal infection from the excessive amount of rain we'd had that year. Or it could be a reaction to pour-on wormer.

or spray paint. I had several calves lose their hair in the shape of their number the year my calf tag order got lost in the system... Not the skin though, just the hair.

If it is only localised, I would be thinking of some type of burn, either from heat or a chemical type burn, from something rubbed against. The skin goes hard and necrotic, then starts to pull away around the edges, then lifts off completely leaving pink granulation tissue underneath which then heals, often with a scar if a large area.
Ken