Calf Tables

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Z

Reaction score
Would anybody like to share their opinions around the use of calf tables? I ain't getting no younger and the day is coming when I won't want to wrestle them little bulls that need steering. I'm about to band a number of 20-45 day old calves. I don't mind the work (got good help now) but I can see where one of those tipping/holding tables would be quite handy. I went out on the 'net and found one that For-Most makes that is a one operator job capable of handling calves up to 450#. Any thoughts?

I have helped a couple guys that have used them and they really cut the work in half. Its easy to brand, vaccinate, and castrate. I recommend getting one that has a rib squeeze so when you tip the table the calf can't flail all over the place

Month old calves are a handful, anything to make it easier on you and the calves.

I have an older Powder River calf table. I don't even bother to flip it over if I am just vaccinating and castrating. For those size calves it works great as a calf size chute.

For bigger numbers I think roping and dragging to the fire works faster but the table is sure better than wrestling them by hand without a rope and horse.

You still need a crew to sort cows and calves;
Someone on the head doing horns and tags
someone to catch the neck and tip the table
someone to open the back hatch and rope a hind leg
someone to vaccincate
someone to cut ( or band in your case.... but why band when they are laying there rock solid still?)
at least two people to push calves down the chute to the table.
DSC01049.jpg

I can't imagine doing it any other way, as I don't have a crew of good horses like some guys on here.

We've got 2 calf tables and I don't really care too much for them. They would come in handy if it were just me or just 2 people working calves but when there's 3 of us it's a whole lot faster and easier IMO to just throw the calves.

Latest posts