Calf Tables

Help Support CattleToday:

CWT Angus

Reaction score
We have a very small Angus operation- 7 pairs & growing. Do you guys think we need to invest in a calf table? All the critters are here at home so getting them in or working on a calf if necessary isn't a problem & my 4 month old heifer fits in the big squeeze already. We are going to look at a used Teco brand table this weekend. Does anyone know anything about this brand?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Don't know anything about that brand of table, and you might be right about not really needing one
But if you can pick it up cheap enough... They can be kinda handy to have sometimes

Another Oregonian- you do exist!!
Thanks for the info, we're kind of on the fence about the whole thing.

First question is "Do you need it, or want it?" 2nd "How will it pay for itself?"
I have a hard time bending over and standing back up but have found very few times that a calf table would be of any use. Either put them in a chute or throw them and tie them. But I tend to be pretty cheap at times.

dun

Just a thought but unless you're going to expand your operation by quite a few head, I'd just recommend finding some good grain-fed farm/ranch boys to help you flank and throw them for branding day once you've got them penned securely.

Save the cash for the unexpected or expansion. And on branding day here we rope them and always have droves of the young bloods showing up looking to get a bit black and blue on the ground crew. Go figure. Yeah, I feed the crew well and they always enjoy a cold beer or two at the end of the day, but personally I'd rather be roping than wrastling. Thank God for the healing powers and immortality of youth!

Take care.

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess the main thing it would be handy for is to tatoo the calves, but we could do that on the ground right?? so long as the ear is clean?
Sorry for the goofy questions, we've always run feeders & this is our 1st full year of registered pairs so some of this stuff is new to us!
Your expertise is invaluable, thanks again...

Why wouldn't you tattoo in a squeeze chute. If you can scoop out horns in one I wouldn;t think it would be that big of a deal to tattoo in one if you use a nose restraint.

dun

I guess I can....once they are a bit bigger (4-5 months). I understood it was best to tatoo them at about 3mos? How important is it to do them that young? I understand that it would make the tatoo more ledgible? I bought a pair last year that was obviously done right before the sale & the cows is just a big breen splotch now.

Don;t know, haven;t tattooed anything in 20 plus years. I don;t recall when we did it or the reason for the timing.

dun

We tattoo everything. Used to do it at birth when we tagged & iodined & gave shots. Now we do it at spring work-up in April - do get better tattoos. Calves are 1-3 months old. Only have a work chute (not even a squeeze chute). Run the calves in, catch their head, and I push on their butts & keep them restrained while hubby tattoos & gives shots. Recommend steel toe boots, those little feet sure can hurt.
Never knew anyone with a calf table - other than the bull stud.

dun":3kunn0k3 said:
Why wouldn't you tattoo in a squeeze chute. If you can scoop out horns in one I wouldn;t think it would be that big of a deal to tattoo in one if you use a nose restraint.
dun

We ear tag, one tag in each ear, in the spring and
We tattoo in the fall so we have some adequate "ear" to work with.

We also always use a nose restraint to keep their heads still for that split second when you need them to be still.

We found that if we tattooed in the spring when calves were 2 months of age we didnt have enough ear AND by fall half of them had ripped their ear tags, and their ears badly, thus ruining their tattoo.

At least by Fall we have more ear surface and a choice of at least one good, un torn, ear to tattoo that will be absolutely readable.

we have a cow calve ooeration. i got a calve table about three years ago . we would not be without it. i always worry about my help getting kicked or hurt real bad. they all have afull time job. so one of them keeping from getting hurt is cheap compared to a used calf table. it also allows me to work a sick all bye myself. just my opion.

Yes a calf table is a must have item for every 7 cow outfit. How have you managed without it????

On the farm we work on,we have a calf table.I like it cause it makes things go a lot faster.We brand,ear tag and cut all at the same time.And it only takes two of us.Sometimes if we got a doggie we start them to learn to suck the bottle in there.It usually only takes a time or two then they come a runnin when they see that bottle.Just my opinion though.

Latest posts