Calf Rope

Help Support CattleToday:

You have half the battle won . Use some of your cheap panels to make pen smaller and and to direct her toward loading chute. Definitely add t post . Some old carpets draped over the cheap panels will keep her from trying to go thru them .

Yea. I'm the only person who has interest and wants to keep the herd going. That said, the cattle would be skipping a generation. My dad likes that I am wanting to take over the herd, but he doesn't really have interest. I think he truly has interest and helps simply because of me. My biggest regret is I didn't do this sooner and learn everything I could have from my grandfather. I've learned enough to get by, but times like this I'm in the dark and its trial and error for me. I'm 34 and last year was the first year I cut, raked, and baled hay all on my own, and was the first year my grandfather wasn't atleast at the field. He broke a hip and was in rehab at the time. Last 3-4 years I literally had to beg my grandfater to let me bale. He would cut even though I wanted to. In the first picture you can see my new to me bale loader in the background. I got it so that I can eventually pick up hay either by myself or with two people if I needed to. My dad is the youngest of four sons, so my grandfather had alot of help through the years. Then as the grandchildren got older, we started helping every year as well. I won't have that amount of help, so I'm building up what I can to make things easier. A catch pen will be one of those things. I thought about a corral, but a smaller catch pen only would help greatly and take up less space. Last couple years I have weaned at 6 months, but I plan to start weaning much earlier (say three months of age). I'm learning the weights to bring them to the sale. Before my grandfather would just tell me "sell young". To me young was 6 months. Now I've learned 200 lbs is market weight and price changes every 100 lbs thereafter, atleast here it does.

I cannot fathom how my grandfather did it the way he did. Not to mention the herd back when I was younger was no where near as tame as the herd is now. Many of times I remember my grandfather needing to use his whip. The second picture shows the pen to the left side of the barn. The only cattle that really went in there was calves. Cows and bulls he put a rope on them and pulled them into the trailer and he did it like that probably for many many moons. If I remember right, cattle started with my great grandfather. He used to be a sugarcane farmer (this was back when they cut by hand and loaded into a horse drawn trailer), and then got out of farming and into cattle.

The little calf in the first picture I had to help deliver on Jan 5th. Elbow deep in the momma trying to get one of his front feet straightened out. Then after he was born I had to milk the momma as he wouldn't latch on. Now he's starting to eat hay with the rest of them. Things like that want me to keep going, but it's hard with this one stubborn calf.

My goal is to have 6 cows and a bull with one or two replacement heifers as needed.

I do want to say thanks to everyone that has replied and offer help / advice. Although this was intended for what kind of rope to invest in, much more information has come out of this thread. Thanks again and truly appreciated.

Everybody started somewhere. Always be open to ideas and implement what works for you. Looks like an old farm . I'm sure there is a pile of used wood post around and if you have some cheap panels you can make a decent holding pen. Put post 4' apart on outside of pen it will strengthen them. They will get bent but they will hold most anything but a jumper. Build as you go with better stuff.

MudHog":dc0edwnx said:
Far as getting in, that is not a problem. They all got in twice a day for the last 9 days. I've seen her in by herself or with her mom or others during the day. When I fed today I closed the gate with all of them in there to see how stout the gate was. I do plan to chain or tie the bottom just to be safe once I close them. No ruckus or pressure as everybody was eating hay. I like the idea of some t-posts to keep the pen down. These panels are a little heavier duty than the ones I have, so that is a big plus in general. I cannot lift these over my head, but I can with the ones I have (light duty TSC panels).

I suppose I'm to cautious given the failed attempts thus far. Plus the pen is borrowed so I worry about it getting damaged. Fixing would be no problem and I'm already pricing material to make my own panels. One downside the Vet told me was once darted, she will run. They don't just fall down instantly. If it came down to darting, would probably need to do it in a pen.
My pen is based on a 50' round pen too, added a few extra panels to form a holding area and an alley leading to a sweep. I looked at the TSC stuff and decided against them and went with Preifert's panels--not the heaviest but not their lightest either.
You can add enough tee posts and 6"-8" wooden posts as need to give it extra strength and it will work out for you. I've had as many as 30 mommas and their calves in mine and they shove around some but as long as I don't get loud and in a hurry they never gave me any trouble except that one crazy calf--and her momma was just like her. The big thing on those panel pens is not to get them upset so much they try jumping up on them--don't crowd 'em when they have much room to maneuver. As far as the loading chute, if you can cover the sides with something where the only light or opening they see is at the trailer, it works a lot easier on flighty ones. They tend to head toward what they see as a way out. Try to keep it narrow enough they can't turn back on you.

You need a rope rated soft, or preferable xtra soft.
You need some one that can instruct you in how to throw it. There are a lot of people that can rope, but they can't explain how to do it.
Once you understand how it takes a lot of practice.
With this calf to throw and miss is going to make the calf harder to catch.
You really need a good roper to catch the calf for you. Even so, you need a pen that will hold the calf because real good ropers miss a lot.

Tranquilizer gun may be your best option.
Don't let yourself get frustrated.
Anybody that has or will do anything worth doing goes through this in some way.
You are still a young man. Be patient with yourself as you are learning.
Good luck.

I highly recommend get you some kids to learn how rope. they will run from you for hours and think its fun. once you've mastered the kids. the family dog will be a good sport for a while, then as you graduate that, goats make good practice. then on to roping pigs. and lastly when you able to put a loop around a emus neck you ready for calves .

M-5":xtwzolxz said:
I highly recommend get you some kids to learn how rope. they will run from you for hours and think its fun. once you've mastered the kids. the family dog will be a good sport for a while, then as you graduate that, goats make good practice. then on to roping pigs. and lastly when you able to put a loop around a emus neck you ready for calves .

I roped some domestic pigs once. Used reverse psychology pulling them the opposite direction I wanted them to go. They backed right in to their pens pulling me with them. Getting the rope back off was the hard part.

I had a buddy of mine offer to run around the yard with a Viking helment on. I might take him up on that.

Update today: I had them all in the pen, heifer included, an closed the gate. Then I started taking a panel out to shrink the pen. Heifer got a little nervous, but nothing like she's been before. She went to the gate and noticed it was closed, but didn't freak out. She turned around and went back to eating. Now the pen is one panel smaller.

I decided when I was in middle school, I was going to start roping. At the time, I had a second calf heifers that was very tame and trained to a bucket, I could scratch her up and down. She was also strongly eared.

I practiced on a dummy, and on the dog. Then I was ready for the real deal. I landed a beautiful loop around her neck, and that's when the rodeo started.

Some how managed to get the rope wrapped around the only tree in the lot. Things went from bad to worse. She was certain I was killing her, and I was certain I was killing her. I can't even remember how I got the rope off. But I've never roped another again.

Update: Heifer is in the trailer and we didn't have to rope her. Last week I had made a chute in the pen with some extra panels. Yesterday I used some chain to tie the chute panels to the outside panels at the top. Timing worked out great as a guy down the road from me called about some welding work he needed coming up and offered help if I need. He was moving cattle yesterday and had a few guys there helping him. They (7 in total) came over and we all got in the pen. Heifer poked her head through a panel and started lifting it so four of us jumped on each a panel. Then she followed a couple cows into the chute and we had her then. She wiggled herself in front the two cows and stuck her head in the panel at the trailer. That let us let to two cows back out and we chanined the chute panels closed. Soon as she got her head out the panel, she ran into the trailer and we closed the doors. I tied a couple panels on top the trailer just in case as she was trying to rare up. She's in half the trailer, so she dont have much room. Tried to put a bucket of water and she got mean and was going after the bucket. She will get water when she gets to the sale barn tomorrow. I did put her some hay and molasses though.

Panels on the trailer are 10ft wide across the trailer, but I'm tempted to leave them on the trailer and head to the barn like it is.

Chute closed and chained closed.
CC2974C1-93D7-4360-9939-92072CA27281_zpsex25c4pq.jpg

She is at the sale barn and number 342. :banana: :banana:

Thanks to everyone who posted. :tiphat: Certainly learned a lot with this heifer on how valuable a round pen or even a catch pen really is.

highgrit":15blne34 said:
Sure beats a bullet. And you will get a nice check out of her also.

I really didn't want to use a bullet. I would have done the tranq route if I needed to. I'll post the check results on Saturday when I get it in the mail.

Jogeephus":15blne34 said:
Ditto that. And no one got hurt which is the important thing I think.

Yep, nobody got hurt and no property or borrowed equipment damaged. Bad thing is, I stressed over this calf for 2 weeks and it only took a matter of 10 minutes, if that, to get her in the trailer. One thing I'm not afraid of is calling for help. I don't think my buddy and I could have done it by ourselves. Certainly not as quick as we did it with 9 guys.

Do you have access to rail road ties, or some timber? I probably haven't paid enough attention. So just say so if that's the case. But just from the picture of the panels, and what little I think I caught from the posts, you might benefit greatly from some sturdy posts to secure your panels to. Something more permanent so when a calf that's touched in the head tries a corner or spot, it'll bounce off instead of go through.

Out here, we have access to some decent discarded creosote ties. It just takes the sweat to put them in. With your panels, they'd make a sturdy set up. Can cut up some big based cedars, telephone poles etc.. as well.

Commercialfarmer":2x7c2j5z said:
Or after I posted that, do I remember you borrowing that set up?

I borrowed the panels, but I plan to ask the guys if he would want to sell them. If he doesn't want to sell them I'm considering building a small catch pen, say ~30'x30'. We have a repair project coming into our shop soon and I'll have 80 or so pieces of 3" XH pipe that are 24' long. Those will make some great posts. Walls would be either treated lumber or the metal cattle panels. I will certainly have me a chute sticking off too.

Latest posts