CALF RE-introduced

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
Ok, a little background, I've got a steer out of a heifer that got really sick about christmas. Took him in and doctored him, and he lived, bottlefed him and turned him back out. He's got a place to get in and get grain daily. Here is the deal, his momma has taken him back just as if he was born yesterday, if she can.t see him she bawls, if he's across the fence she bawls, and she is just downright spooky if you are between them. She lets him suck daily and looks to have somewhat of a bag, which I just dismissed as maybe some fluid, until this morning. I was watching him suck through the bino's and when he got through his mouth and nose was covered in froth. Has anyone ever had this happen? Is it even possible or was it just his slobber? I had him away from her for 6 or 7 weeks and he has been totally off the bottle for about a week now and doing well.

Not particularly unusual. But he is going to be a really misery to actaully wean

I tend to be impressed with the maternal strength of that heifer.

BTW Dun is right. You will need to wean him on the truck to the salebarn

Sooo, do you think her milk has come back? I've never heard of that, but i agree he 'll have to be weaned on the trailer. She is a smaller framed brangus cross and definitely a keeper, can't wait to see her second calf. Thanks guys.

newrancher":2leyficw said:
Sooo, do you think her milk has come back? I've never heard of that, but i agree he 'll have to be weaned on the trailer. She is a smaller framed brangus cross and definitely a keeper, can't wait to see her second calf. Thanks guys.
After that long I don;t think enough will really come back to do all that much good. If the calf seems satisfied and is eating hay/grass and doesn;t start looking too potty it should be ok. Won;t be a real winner but not a looser either. Probably just average or may be a but below

Could it be that some other calf may have been sucking this cow some and you did not notice?

BRYANT":3ukvr3a4 said:
Could it be that some other calf may have been sucking this cow some and you did not notice?
I really don't htink so, although one heifer calf has done particularly well but she is a little older. I guess we'll wait and see, he doesn't seem to be getting potty yet and is eating all the time, anyway thanks again.

We have had this to happen to weaned calves. Kept them up for weeks, and as soon as they got back around to momma they started all over again. Sometimes it would just be one, and again it might be three. And it was milk, would have it all over their face. So then we would have to start the weaning process all over again!

Latest posts