calf problem glassy eyes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I am hoping that some of you experts can give me some advice. I have a calf that is 4 days old. I found him this morning in a ditch stuck in the mud and he could not get out. I got him out and he was unable to stand. He must have been there most of the night. We got him to the barn, and got him dried off. He has refused to nurse. We tried to milk his mom which was not easy because she is a mean, and hateful old cow. She cut such a fit that we could not get any milk. The calf finally got where he was standing, and we noticed his eyes are completely glassy or bluish looking. I think he is unable to see now and he continues to walk around in circles. The vet told us to give him a package of electrolytes using a esophageal feeder. We have given him 2 doses today.

Can anyone tell me why his eyes are like this, and do you any advise on what else I can do for this little fellow? I am afraid after spending the day nursing him, I am attached to him now. He weighs 100 lbs, and seems to be pretty strong with what he has been through today. His eyes looked normal when he was born and when he was banded the day after. I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

Just had one with the same problem in one eye, found him at 2 days old not getting any milk from mamma (Mastitis). Gave him colostrum and bottle fed , he grew out of it after about a week.

How's your calf now? Any improvement? Maybe brain damage - got kicked or stepped on? Blindness? Blind calves circle. BTW love your name - that sums it up for everyone in cattle.:)

I believe the calf is dehydrated. Grasp its skin on its side and pull outward then release the skin. If the skin is slow to return to normal (tents) the animal is dehydrated and needs electrolytes immediately. Are there any signs of diarrhea?

I found him on Wed morning stuck in the ditch in mud and he was wet and could not stand up. For 2 days we gave him electrolytes and some milk replacer. His mom would not even come in the barn to be with him. Went we put her in the barn, she was going crazy and broke through the gate. If we had left her in there, I don't think we would have had a barn left. He refused to nurse with a bottle so we had to use the tube down his throat. He got worse on Friday and was unable to stand. A friend thought he might have pneumonia and we gave him some antibiotics. But he had no fever, or was not coughing. My helper took him home with him because he would have more time to care for him. He has an old cow that takes extra calves and she would stay with him and lick on him so he has done much better. But he is still not nursing normally. He took a bottle of milk in the morning but would not take any in the afternoon. I was told that he has been able to walk around in the barn and his eyes are looking much better. No diarrhea or anything.

But wonder why he is not willing to nurse from the bottle or the cow?

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Well, he sounds DEPRESSED to me! Stuck in the mud; can't see; rejected by his mama; doesn't have his mama; got moved to a new place/new mama . . . . he just might need a little more attention/encouragement.

If he did get booted hard enough he may not want to try a cow for awhile. Don't give antibiotics if there is no fever or symptoms - he may need them later and you don't want him to have a resistance to them. Does he have any swelling in the head, throat area? I know I am late responding to this and he's probably fine or not by now but if there is swelling I would suggest some banamine or metacam to bring down the swelling which may help him nurse.

I don't think he was hurt by the mother cow. She has always been an excellent mother. She just does not like being in the barn. But I think he might have gotten dehyrated. But he is almost 2 weeks old and still does not nurse. We got him to suck 1 bottle, but then he refused to take it. He is still being fed with a tube. So, I just cannot figure out how to help him. He looks totally normal, no swelling anywhere. He is a very large calf.

Is it normal when they are dehyrated for their eyes to become glazed over, and they cannot see? My helper that has him at his home now said that his eyes have gotten better and he was able to see out in his barn lot. But the little fellow still will not nurse.

I have never seen a calf get dehydrated and therefore have their eyes glaze over. I have seen their eyes appear very sunken but not glazed. Did you tent the skin as agmantoo suggested? That and sunken eyes are the best way of telling if an animal is dehydrated. I have seen three calf problems where they have had glazed over eyes . The first is blindness. The second was a blow to the head. The third was meningitis. If the cow is old and/or you are lacking in vitamins and minerals some shots may help Vitamin A is of course the vitamin that helps eyesight- it is given with vitamin D. Selenium and E we always give to a slow starting calf. However, it is really hard to diagnose a calf over the internet. I would have a vet come out and look at the calf and see what they say - if you do have a vet out please let us know what they say. Also, I am not sure from your post if the calf is living in the barn full-time. If he is get him out of there. Night time is good for a barn but during the day have him out in the sun. It is amazing what that will do for a calf's health. Some calves are slow to nurse but two weeks seems a long time.

He can walk out into the barn lot, and does. However, he is seems out of it and like he is in a daze. He has the old cow with him so I don't think he is depressed. There are a couple of litle calves nursing the old cow. His eyes look normal and I think he can see. He just has no interest in milk or nursing.

Can calves have brain damage ?

Can an earthworm have brain damage? Of course!!! Have you done any simple tests, like moving your hand quickly over its eyes, a few inches away to see if he/she blinks (not so close that air movement would make it blink)? Or waiving a flag from 15 ft. away to see if the calf reacts/notices?

The little guy died. We worked with him for over 2 weeks. There had to be something bad wrong with him. He took only 1 bottle. He did get his eyesight back, but was never strong and still would not nurse.

Latest posts