calf prints on my sweatshirt

Help Support CattleToday:

Babelanger

Reaction score
I'm rather new to cattle, BUT- I have the boyfriend and spent the last couple days 'helping' his family with vacinating, and sorting cow/calf pairs into the groups they will be in until weaning/sales.

I'm not sure how much help I was as opposed to comic relief, (this morning I find calf sized hoof print shaped bruises I didn't feel when they happened) and a chance for his parents/brothers/etc a chance to expound to a 'newby' about their cattle, Black Angus, and feeding systems.

Any advice on the life of a cattle raiser/family/farm/ranch etc welcomed, any thing(s) that c/sh/would be important to take note of when around cattle in general, cows, bulls, cow/calf, steers, heifers. I don't want to be the stupid green horn that causes some problem because I didn't know better.

thanks
babs

It's pretty hard to summarize everything in one thread. You might just spend time reading through the old threads here.

One thing to know is the bigger they are, the more likely they can kill you. So first thing is to stay safe and out of the way. Do alot of watching to learn how they behave - that part is hard to read and learn.

I admire your spunk. Keep after it, just go slow.

learn how to stay out of the way!

don't come walking up to the front of the chute or a gate where somebody is trying to put an animal, that is my number one complaint about people who don't know anything.

learn to be aware of what is going on and be ready to assist when somebody needs something. Have good humor and don't take yelling personally. It stings but it just happens sometimes (or a lot, depending on the crew) - and sometimes it is for your safety too!

Sounds to me like you went out there and gave it your all. :clap: Even if you made them laugh I bet they appreciated your spunk.

As far as advice the best thing you can do is WATCH and ask the ocassional question. They might chuckle at you but they will give you good answers and appreciate that you want to learn.

Spook one cow and she can stir them all up. Move slow.

Generally it is the same routine over and over again when you are working cows. Watch what they do with the first one or two and expect that over and over. Anticipate what to do from there. Stay out of the way. Ask what you can do. It would be really nice for someone to mark numbers, months bred, notes and other such data in my records. That may already be someone else's job.

Latest posts