Calf Prices

Help Support CattleToday:

gerardplauche":3jp1obpx said:
Up to $3.00/lb??? :shock: Now that's impressive!

No kidding...haven't seen anything like that around this neck of the woods 'cept holstein heifer baby calves....$450 to 600 for 3 day old.

TB - maybe those prices would fit a registered show calf, but she mentioned crossed calves. If I start seeing these calf prices in LA, I will definitely start retaining some of my heifers. :lol2:

Gerald dont hold your breath! Went to the sell this weekend with a few Charolais calfs, any thing over 600lbs was .90 to 1.10 with calfs 300 to 400 bringing 1.25 to 1.30

mnmtranching":1udsb9cl said:
Stocker Steve":1udsb9cl said:
So how do producers in a TB state like Michigan cope? Are they feeding out most of their calves locally or hiring more vets for re testing?

I understand that Michigan has now got the split state status, trouble is it took years. But the USDA has learned a lot [apparently] The current test is outdated and inaccurate. It has been costly and a real pain for Michigan producers, many just up and quit.
I think the storys you guys heard are pretty exaggerated. The state and USDA acted really fast to get the split state status and the state pays for the random testing that is done, they even bring in all the equipment for handleing if you don't have it. We also have to use the electronic tags for movements off the farm unless going to slaughter for personal consumption. In the TB zone you need to call in and get movement permits over the phone and all cattle being moved off the farm have to be TB tested first. In the rest of the state it is random testing, I think 500 herds a year and at first the whole state was tested. It is an inconveinience but not near as bad as what you guys are hearing.

We went to a meeting on Bovine TB. Speaker was the Michigan State Vet.

He said the split state status took 2 years and the TB situation has been a "nightmare for producers there"
Go figure?

Stocker Steve":30ltlza2 said:
What do they actually have to do for split state status other than draw a line on a map?

Some of the requirements from the USDA. Deer numbers in the risk area taken down to a certain point. I understand this has been done. All cattle in the risk area must be killed. Not complete. A per head tax on all cattle sold statewide to pay for it. (this is how MN will pay for it) Testing of surrounding herds. This will take awhile. Not that many certified Vets and the problem with false positives. And the Feds want a waiting period to make sure there are no more infected herds. State officials aren't guessing. It's safe to say at least another year.

Stocker Steve":24ldkl0p said:
What do they actually have to do for split state status other than draw a line on a map?
They don't kill all the cattle in the infected area, they kill all the cattle in a infected herd. Initially every herd will need to be tested. Getting the split state designation takes time with the USDA to get them to recognize it. I know several herds that have been tested recently and no false positives so I am not sure what that is all about, usually every herd gets tested once unless a positive test so I think they have the test down pretty well right now.

Latest posts