calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

sjr725

Reaction score
well, obviously I didnt' get this quite right - I thought the photos would show up and not just the link?

sjr725":3c8e9axl said:
here are a couple of pics of some steer calves we have here at the house. Just a sampling of a colorful crowd. These were some early steers who's mothers were pretty old and had other issues that caused us to wean a little early and ship the cows. These were mid January calves and we shipped their mommas last month.

andy_stuff_051.jpg

andy_stuff_006.jpg

Thanks Luvabeef - how'd you do that?

for Alacowman - I've lived here all my life and probably take the scenery for granted - but yes, it is nice - I've never been to your neck of the woods but I'm sure it's very nice as well - you get alot more rain that we do here - so I bet it's nice and green! We have to rely alot on rain in it's "whiter" form - and that's been in short supply the last few years.

SJR725, What kind of grass do you have on your place. It looks really good in the pic with the closeup of the cows.

that's a small field of irrigated grass hay we take one cutting off of for the draft horses, it's a brome,timothy and orchard grass mix - every year I keep back about 8-10 steer calves, some that were early weaners and then I buy some holstein steers from a hutterite dairy near here, and once we cut the hay off that field and water it back a little the steers can go out there for the rest of the summer. That grass is a pretty good mix, makes good pasture and the hay keeps the "fat boys" from getting too much fatter in the winter - everybody else gets alfalfa.

Thanks for the information. I'm in the process of trying to upgrade my pastures and am trying to find a good mix that works here in central Texas.

Latest posts