Calf - Odd Behaviour - Need Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
Hi All,

We have 9 month old Black Angus bull-calf that is behaving odd.

He generally doesn't wander with the herd, stays alone most of the time, doesn't seem to eat much, looks healthy, doesn't have diarrhea. When he does walk I see a regular walk, no limp.

When I approach him on foot he moves away like many calves do. When left alone he tends to stand in one spot for awhile then move a bit then stand then move and so forth.

We are going to get him into the barn and give him some better hay and grain and watch him more closely. He and his younger brother are the only bulls on the property and so he may have tried to mount a female a month or so ago but I do not see any injury.

Any ideas? Thanks

Gary

Is the other bull beating him up? When we have more than one bull in a pasture and one is on the bottom of the pecking order, they will be offish and stand alone a lot..

No.

This bull-calf is the larger (a bit larger) of the two (the other is about 6 months) and we have not observed any fighting between them or him and others.

Yes, keeping two bulls in the same field would not be a good strategy.

cowgirl8":2x7ershb said:
Is the other bull beating him up? When we have more than one bull in a pasture and one is on the bottom of the pecking order, they will be offish and stand alone a lot..
Are you supposing the other bull is an evil twin?

OK. We'll check temperature. I suspect you think it might be pneumonia or eliminate that as an option.

I did see the calf cough a couple times but I have seen that before in otherwise healthy cattle.

What's the correct way to evaluate breathing?

Then, what's the best course of action against these scenarios?

1) If temperature is normal (38.5C) (correct?) and breathing is normal?

2) If temperature is high (>39.5C) that implies infection of some sort, correct?
Look for injury etc in more detail since I have the animal in the chute?

3) If temp is high and breathing is not normal then?
Likely pneumonia?

4) Temp normal?

Thanks people!

OK

If this calf has BVD then should the antibiotic be administered concurrent with Banamine?

The labels look like they can be done so.

Any comments?

Thanks again.

head held low is a pretty good indicator that the calf is feeling unwell rather than just a loner.
High temp, fast or harsh breathing - watch sides when he's 'relaxed' in the chute as they'll indicate if his breathing is excessively shallow and fast. I'd be inclined to check mouth, check eyes, look under jaw (for things like woody tongue or edema), assess overall condition, gut fill, harshness or otherwise of coat... they just provide clues that can guide to a cause of 'feeling bad'.

If you determine a definite cause, treat appropriately; if he has a high temp and no definite cause, use a broad spectrum antibiotic and watch for improvement, if you're truly stumped get a vet and if he doesn't improve following home treatment get a vet.

When it comes to veterinarian advice, dont get it off a public forum from strangers. Take your animal to the vet.

cowgirl8":1whmv4tr said:
When it comes to veterinarian advice, dont get it off a public forum from strangers. Take your animal to the vet.

so you discredit the veterinarians here??

So far as I can tell, I'm the first veterinarian to respond in this thread.
Get him up and have your veterinarian examine him.
The possibilities are many...pneumonia, cardiovascular anomaly, urinary blockage, etc., etc.
We can't tell what's going on with him from here...

Lucky_P":5duotfsc said:
The possibilities are many...pneumonia, cardiovascular anomaly, urinary blockage, etc., etc.

it was a general statement Luckyp. You as well of the other vets do an excellent job of diagnosis over the internet. Most people are merely looking for suggestions as to what could be wrong and most of the medical questions come on the weekends and after hours when the office is closed. Thank you for what you do here.

cowgirl8":17tilxxr said:

I've had some great advice from non vets on this site. Saved me a ton of vet bills too. The best advice yet is take it's temp (not sure Dun is a vet but I think he may play one on TV). 99% of calves I've had that age that are hanging back and hanging their head have come around with some pneumonia treatment.

Lucky_P":25hg0x07 said:

I'm glad I don't take every droopy calf to the vet and have gotten some great suggestions off this board of things I can look at myself - many of those things from you LP. Amazing how many times too with a little description people on these boards DO know what's going on!! You all even helped me diagnose a cow that had an apple stuck in her craw!

Perhaps if you can post a picture, that would help? As for breathing, if he's resting he should have good deep breaths.

If you've had some of the nasty weather we've been having up here, pneumonia is certainly a possibility. Has he been weaned?

Yes, he is weaned.

Took his temp 1/12 noontime. 106
Gave LA 200 SC, dosage per label. After reading temp.
Also gave him vitamin AD &B SC dosage per label.

We separated him from rest of herd so we could concentrate on him and to limit his desire to be with the other animals. Gave him grain and better hay.

Now he appears weaker than before, not moving much, sitting in the sun, but alert - ears perked and looking around.
I just spent 10 minutes with him - no coughing, his breathing didn't seem rapid, eyes clear.

Weather right now is mostly sunny and 55 - we're having exceptionally mild weather here in western Oregon.

Latest posts