Calf jacks and calving paralysis

Help Support CattleToday:

born2run

Reaction score
Just curious if any of you have found a direct correlation between using a jack and the heifer/cow suffering paralysis? When you are using a jack, how fast do you go? I've heard different opinions as to how fast to pull a calf. There's a wide difference between the herd manager and myself to the boss and his son, who pull the calf like there's a fire to attend to. Some tell me to go wide open and save the calf's life, the other one is telling me to go one "click" at a time and allow more natural dialation.

Also wondering if any of you have noticed that when the calf is dead the dam doesn't have a lot of natural lubrication?

born2run":2uprk9h1 said:
Just curious if any of you have found a direct correlation between using a jack and the heifer/cow suffering paralysis? When you are using a jack, how fast do you go? I've heard different opinions as to how fast to pull a calf. There's a wide difference between the herd manager and myself to the boss and his son, who pull the calf like there's a fire to attend to. Some tell me to go wide open and save the calf's life, the other one is telling me to go one "click" at a time and allow more natural dialation.

I use a broken "tugit" brand hoist. I can feel the pressure as there is no stop. It has been a while since I have used it and I hope it's still broke.

You're pretty much dealing with the same, not alwasy, kind of deal with needing a jack and a dead calf. Most times by the time the calf is dead the cow has been in labor for a long while and I think that's why there is a general lack of lubricant, or help from the cow for that matter. If a jack is used it's usually a BIG calf, an odd presentation or poorly designed calf for birthing. Those are exactly the types of instances that will lead to a pinching of whatever nerve it is in the pelvis that causes paralysis. To me they're both a chicken and egg kind of deal.

born2run":2r2phxqi said:

No, but I think it depends on the experience/knowledge of the person behind the calf puller. I can very easily see where a calf puller in inexperienced/impatient hands could be a wreck waiting to happen. We always worked with the cows contractions and, even if the calf was backwards, never got in a hurry until the tailhead/hips cleared the birth canal. We've never had a problem with post-calving paralysis (No, I'm not bragging - simply stating facts). We did, however, have a couple of heifers bobble for a few days after pulling a high birthweight (100 lbs - high birthweight for us) calf.

Wondering if any of you have noticed that when the calf is dead the dam doesn't have a lot of natural lubrication?

Sorry, I can't help you with that one - it's been a very long time since we had to pull a dead calf.

i find a calving paralysis correlation between BIG calves and little heifers, mostly.

of course a jack can cause all sorts of problems if used irresponsibly--

i personally feel like a slower more gentle pull is better and more like what would naturally occur under normal circumstances. sure you can yank em on out, but if its not already dead, and hasnt been hanging halfway out for a long time, you are unlikely to lose one in the few seconds it takes to crank one out gently, imo.

i also feel like remembering to pull the calf DOWN as opposed to straight out, does a lot for the cows well-being as well.

dun is right about stress/time correlating with lack of lube.

We had a kind of funny deal this year. Been using a Gelbvieh bull for 2 yrs and had to pull a lot of calves. The only one that we called the vet for was the last one, according to her he was about 2% away from needing to be c-sectioned. It was an awful tough pull and I figured if any calf was going to paralize its mother it would be this one, and believe me we've had a few.

Not only did she not paralize but she was up in maybe 5 min. The calf started kind of rough but was also up pretty quick.

The difference between this calf and the others who did paralize their mothers. This time we had a vet there who gave the heifer a shot of anti-inflamatory on the spot.

Before anyone asks I got into this situation late and did not pick this bull to put on heifers, I've just had the pleasure of pulling all of his calves. The upside is they average 625lbs at 7mo on momma's (shorthorn) milk and good pasture. Funny thing is we probably only had 2 calves out of 30 that weighed over 80lbs. According to the vet it's the correlation between head size, neck length, and big shoulders that's the problem on the heifers, not weight. Everything hits the pelvis at the same time and causes a train wreck.

And by the way the bull went to the sale. I'd sure do this same cross again, but with a much more carefull chosen bull.

As far as the timing of using the calf-jack, the way she recommended is to time the pull to the cows contractions when she pushed we pulled seemed to work pretty darn well.

I think that it is more related to calf size than the use of the calf puller. Not to say that you can't cause big problems if aren't careful using a puller, but I have also seen cows partially paralyzed after a long difficult birth when there was no help given.

Unless the calf is backwards, we pull slowly. Give the cow time to stretch. Until the umbilical cord is pinched in the birth canal you shouldn't have to worry about the calf dying. And by the time that it does get to the point of being pinched, the calf should be out far enough that it can breathe. Once we have the ribs out, on a hard pull, we get the calf breathing, then worry about pulling the rest of the calf out.

On a bigger calf take your time and pull when the cow pushes and rest when she rest. If you have two people have one person glove up and help stretch the walls of the birth canal. When you get the front shoulders out use the jack as a fulcrum pull the end of the jack toward the feet of the heifer or cow if she is on her side. Also twist the calf as you do this it will turn the hips and prevent hip lock. To do this put your arms between the fromt legs and twist.

Jeff

When assisting a calving, you should have lube handy and be VERY generous with it. We actually have a small pump we modified & put a long tube on it. You just cover the end with your hand to protect the cow and move it all around inside while someone (me!) pumps the lube.
You want the calf to be real slimey.
And, of course, you work WITH the cow, only pulling when she pushes. You must take your time, she has to dialate properly. It shouldn't make any difference - whether you use a puller or just straps. Two strong men can pull a cow apart as easily as a puller.

I pulled a calf early this morning from a cow that had milk fever. I started out with OB chains/handles and switched to the jack when I wasn't making progress. This calf was a character from the get-go. Even while I was attaching the chains the little booger kept pulling her feet away as if in protest. Kept what you'd said in mind, pulled with the contractions, even though what she was doing was very weak. Out of this came success, at least on the part of the calf. Healthy heifer calf, dam was IV'd by the herd manager when he came this morning.

Lube wise, this calf was practically swimming in natural lubrication, impressive from what I've seen in the past. I did lube up my glove before starting to work on her though. End result was a very happy gal (me), and a calf that hit the ground bawling, hungry, and healthy. Nights like those that make all my hard work and constant walking of pastures and pens pay off. :D

We've only had to use a calf jack a couple of times , when things went really bad and the cow was too worn out to help. Slow and steady and downward angle is the most important thing. and like Jeanne says - don't hold back on the lube!

Latest posts