Calf having trouble swallowing

Help Support CattleToday:

Hickory40CC

Reaction score
I've got a calf that was the progeny of a 1st calf heifer. I brought that calf (along with another) in when it was 4 months old and began giving them some grain. (ground corn, omolene 400, sb meal mixed.) Just enough to make sure they were getting something to eat. They were on grass the rest of the time. Anyway, this calf has a good appetite and eats out of the trough like normal...but gets choked...every day...and finally coughs up a large portion of the feed he has eaten back into the trough, or out onto the ground. He will cough up the feed, and then go back to eating. He still nurses his mother, although she doesn't give enough milk to do much good. Wonder what is going on here? If he has something in his throat, do you know of a way to get it out? I have wormed him, and he doesn't look bad...just mal-nutritioned some (I'm selling the dam soon). He always has an appetite.

could be the ground part of your feed mix causing the coughing up , exchange the ground corn for rolled and see if it continues
Suzanne

Latest posts