calf having a hard time walking

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh O.K. Duh.
I use V-Lytes HE by Vetoquinol .It comes from UFA I buy it in the big 20 dose pails and make sure the product is good for at least 3 years.2 years ago didn't use it at all and last year it got used twice; but this past 5 days it is getting used every day.This weather sure sucks I wish it would warm up or stay cold.+8 in the day and -11 at night with snow sure is hard on the little guys. :(
I have had things that I have never encountered before in all my calve raising.

Nowland Farms":vmkir6zm said:
The calf was in the creek because it fell in there and could not get out.

Heck, I don't even think cows have enough sense to know they have a fever, much less think "I believe I have a a fever. I wonder how I can cool off? Oh yeah, I can go lie down in the water. That'll cool me off !!!" Shezzzzz :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
They might not do that in Alabama, but in ND that's the first place they'll go when feverish.
We've often had older calves do this when they have an elevated temp, but I would highly doubt it with a newborn.
Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for the help. The calf is doing fine. She was up and motivating on her own the next morning and eating good. Not sick at all. I tried to get her back on the cow yesterday (after 2 days at the house) but nothing doing,the cow wouldnt have any of it. She tried to nurse every cow on the place though. She is a bottle calf now and eating good. She is still a little gangly but the leg is getting better everyday. Just a tendon I guess. Thanks

P.S. I will have to send the electrolytes off to the lab and get back to you on that one.

Latest posts