calf has rattly cough-cold or pneumonia?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Fed my two calves around 10 this morning and they seemed fine. Didn't get back to them until 6pm. Susie (almost 4 weeks) did not take the bottle at all and was coughing. Looks lethargic but still walks around. Her breathing sounds a little raspy. Talked to a buddy and he can get up here tomorrow night with some Nuflox if I need it. Susie finally drank about 2 pints around 8.30. Will check her temp when my husband gets home. I did notice a little white snot yesterday. I also heard the other calf cough today. Does it sound like pneumonia? Is it catchy? The weather has been dreary and cool the last few days. Cheers.

Let me start by saying: Call a vet if you have one!

Secondly: I have limited knowledge (if you can call it that), but it sounds like something is going on in the respiratory. Turning away food is never a good sign in my opinion and experience.

Third: Temp, Temp, Temp!!

Are they kept in or out? I've had good results with both options. It all depends on your timing and treatment. Unfortunately, we need to be our own vets as we do not have a large animal vet in my area for anything other than horses so we have learned to self-medicate, but I'm in no position to tell you how to treat your calf.

Is nuflex the same as nuflor...

If it is, give it to both of them per bottle/insert instructions. Also, when you give it to them, give them probios/probiotic/microbial.

Alice

It sounds like it could be the beginnings of pnemonia. I would not use Nuflor or Baytril - reason being, at 4 weeks old and a bottle baby to boot, the calf is probably too small to get a big enough dose to be effective without overdosing. Overdosing with Baytril has a nasty habit of destroying cartilage in the joints. I would use a long acting penicillin g, and add a cc or two to the recommended dosage.

hi,
Microtel (?) is suppose to be very good for pnemonia(?) Add with it in a seperate needle of course, predef or annafin. They are an anti-inflamitory and help the antibiotic to work plus work on the inflamation in the lungs.
We usually start with Liquidmycin LP daily or trivetrin (if the vet recommends) as well as an anti - inflamitory before bringing in the big guns like microtel unless the calf is real bad. See how little we use the microtel can't even spell it.

Alice what kind of probiotic do you use for calves. I understand the reason behind it from other posts you've written but never seen it or heard of it until you mentioned it. Seems like a good idea.

Just came in from closing up the calves. Susie at least drank half of her usual 2 quarts but is still kind of coughing a little. Her temp is very high, 104.9 and that was before the thermometer buzzed. I might have spelt the Nuflor or Newflux wrong. Sounds like the same thing. My buddy is not sure of the dose as he usually deals with feed lot cattle that are much older. I will call a vet tomorrow but they usuallly take at least 8 hours to call back and really do not seem interested in coming out to see my one calf. I have always noticed that Susie seemed congested. My husband, who brought the calves home I guess for me to take care of, thinks that because I did not
"turn them out" that this is the reason. I also did not add a few flakes of straw yesterday as I am running out and need to get more. They live in a shed and have a little paddock so they can be outside or in. With this dreary weather they spend most of their time inside. Would you think that Friday sucking on Susie's ears would be a factor? Susie's ears are usually wet when I go out to bottle them. I do have penicillin, but not long acting, if you guys think that would help. Susie was on it for 3 days at 5cc cause the vet recommended it after she had crusty pussy eyes and I think that she was also a little congested then. Thanks for the replies. Have to go to bed, will check again in the am.

newbie":23njwhrl said:
Just came in from closing up the calves. Susie at least drank half of her usual 2 quarts but is still kind of coughing a little. Her temp is very high, 104.9 and that was before the thermometer buzzed. I might have spelt the Nuflor or Newflux wrong. Sounds like the same thing. My buddy is not sure of the dose as he usually deals with feed lot cattle that are much older. I will call a vet tomorrow but they usuallly take at least 8 hours to call back and really do not seem interested in coming out to see my one calf. I have always noticed that Susie seemed congested. My husband, who brought the calves home I guess for me to take care of, thinks that because I did not
"turn them out" that this is the reason. I also did not add a few flakes of straw yesterday as I am running out and need to get more. They live in a shed and have a little paddock so they can be outside or in. With this dreary weather they spend most of their time inside. Would you think that Friday sucking on Susie's ears would be a factor? Susie's ears are usually wet when I go out to bottle them. I do have penicillin, but not long acting, if you guys think that would help. Susie was on it for 3 days at 5cc cause the vet recommended it after she had crusty be nice eyes and I think that she was also a little congested then. Thanks for the replies. Have to go to bed, will check again in the am.

Of course, if you can get a vet to work with you, that's the way to go.

You asked for Nuflor dose instructions.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION:
For treatment of bovine respiratory disease (BRD) and bovine interdigital phlegmon (foot rot): NUFLOR Injectable Solution should be administered by intramuscular injection to cattle at a dose rate of 20 mg/kg body weight (3 mL/100 lbs). A second dose should be administered 48 hours later.

Alternatively, NUFLOR Injectable Solution can be administered by a single subcutaneous injection to cattle at a dose rate of 40 mg/kg body weight (6 mL/100 lbs). Do not administer more than 10 mL at each site. The injection should be given only in the neck.

Nuflor can be hard on the gut...always give Probios (brand name) or some kind of microbial with it...yogurt works well in a pinch.

Alice

Thanks Alice. I ended up with Microtel as my buddy said it would be easier on the young calf. Susie drank a little this morning. Gave her the med around 5 and am supposed to give the rest of the Microtel in two days. Temp is still 103. She is laying down her her shed now while the younger Friday frolicks around. He also gave me a vitamin paste that should increase her appetite. They must of gotten a draft when it was really windy the other night. I hear Friday coughing but she is still full of piss and vinegar. Will take her temp tonight after she is a little more tired.

newbie":2getyckc said:
Thanks Alice. I ended up with Microtel as my buddy said it would be easier on the young calf. Susie drank a little this morning. Gave her the med around 5 and am supposed to give the rest of the Microtel in two days. Temp is still 103. She is laying down her her shed now while the younger Friday frolicks around. He also gave me a vitamin paste that should increase her appetite. They must of gotten a draft when it was really windy the other night. I hear Friday coughing but she is still full of be nice and vinegar. Will take her temp tonight after she is a little more tired.

You take some of that Microtel and put it in Susies USB port just like your buddie said.
Speakin of drafts, you ever dodge one?

newbie":1i0gum6o said:
Thanks Alice. I ended up with Microtel as my buddy said it would be easier on the young calf. Susie drank a little this morning. Gave her the med around 5 and am supposed to give the rest of the Microtel in two days. Temp is still 103. She is laying down her her shed now while the younger Friday frolicks around. He also gave me a vitamin paste that should increase her appetite. They must of gotten a draft when it was really windy the other night. I hear Friday coughing but she is still full of be nice and vinegar. Will take her temp tonight after she is a little more tired.

If you are using Micotil - you be sure you do not stick yourself with it.
-----------------------------------
Read and heed:

Health Canada and Elanco Animal Health have identified a risk of potential fatal outcomes upon accidental self-injection of Micotil®. Elanco Animal Health has been working closely with the Veterinary Drugs Directorate to ensure that the proper handling and administration of Micotil® is reinforced. Since the Micotil® approval in 1992, there have been reported cases to the Canadian Poison Control Centres of adverse human reactions to Micotil. The route of exposure in the majority of cases is by accidental puncture / scratch / injection, with oral ingestion, face/eyes and dermal exposure occurring infrequently. Micotil® is a macrolide veterinary antibiotic with cardiotoxic side-effects. It causes negative inotropy and in cases of accidental human exposure, requires constant cardiovascular system monitoring. Accidental needle puncture of less than 1 mL usually results in nothing more than edema and/or pain at the site of injection, however, higher doses can result in fatalities. In Canada, none of these reports have been of a serious nature, however, in the US, accidental injection of a full dose for cattle has been associated with fatalities. As these reactions are serious, the product monograph has been changed to reflect this new safety information.

HUMAN WARNING: Not for human use. Human injection has been associated with fatalities. Do not use in automatically powered syringes. Exercise caution to avoid accidental self-injection. In case of human injection, consult a physician immediately and apply ice to injection site. For emergency medical information call 1-416-813-5900.

NOTE TO THE PHYSICIAN: The cardiovascular system is the target of toxicity and should be monitored closely. This antibiotic persists in tissues for several days. Apply ice to injection site and provide supportive treatment. Epinephrine potentiated lethality of Micotil in pigs. Dobutamine partially offset the negative inotropic effects induced by Micotil in dogs. -adrenergic antagonists, such as propranolol, exacerbated the negative inotropy of Micotil-induced tachycardia in dogs.

As a veterinarian, you play a key role in protecting clients from accidental exposure or self-injection. We encourage you to continue to diligently train your clinic staff regarding safe handling procedures and take steps to ensure they are providing appropriate information to clients when dispensing Micotil®. This notice serves to remind the veterinary community of caution when handling any veterinary drug as well as to inform you of the changes to the monograph. Below is a reminder of proper handling of Micotil®.

Proper Injectable Handling Procedures

Store Micotil® in a safe location
Read, understand and follow all label use directions
For subcutaneous use in cattle
Use a 1/2 " to 5/8" 18- to 16-gauge needle
Keep a protective cover on needles until ready to use
Never carry loaded syringe in pocket or clothing
Wash hands thoroughly with soap and water after handling
Proper Injectable Administration Procedures

Properly restrain animals prior to administering Micotil®
With a single hand on the syringe, insert the needle subcutaneously, at a top-down angle, while avoiding penetration of underlying muscle
Administer a single subcutaneous dose of 1.5 mL of Micotil® per 100 lbs of body weight
Ensure proper disposal of sharp needles and syringes
Reporting rates determined on the basis of spontaneously reported post-marketing adverse events are generally presumed to underestimate the risks associated with drug treatments. The identification, characterization, and management of marketed health product-related adverse events are dependent on the active participation of veterinarians in adverse drug reaction reporting programmes. Any occurrences of human exposures or other serious and/or unexpected adverse events in animals receiving Micotil® should be reported to Elanco Animal Health using the following contact information:

Elanco Animal Health
Division of Eli Lilly Canada Inc.
Research Park Centre
150 Research Park Lane, Suite 120
Guelph, ON N1G 4T2
Tel: 1-800-265-5475 or Fax: (519) 821-7831

Sincerely yours,

Paul Dick, B.Sc., D.V.M., M.Sc.
Manager, Research and Development and Technical Service
----------------------------------------

I do not know the person but he lived not far from our home in Saskatchewan - he is no longer among the living because of this drug. Yearling jumped and he stuck himself - and died.

Lots of folks who handle drugs and cows together - sooner or later will put some drug in their body.

A good drug but I leave it on the counter at the store.

Bez>

Have seen that before<referring to Bez's post and the same is somewhat true about Nuflor> but Micotil is kind of obsolite it has been so overused in the past that it no longer even helps to treat the smallest infection.Move on to the better more effective meds.

Syd Sydney":kza0vum9 said:
Have seen that before<referring to Bez's post and the same is somewhat true about Nuflor> but Micotil is kind of obsolite it has been so overused in the past that it no longer even helps to treat the smallest infection.Move on to the better more effective meds.

Nuflor?

I looked - not hard - on Google for verification of your comments. Found none. Where did this come from?

I am interested because I have not heard Nuflor is risky to use. Seldom see it on this place anyway - but I would like to mentally file that one for the future.

Thanks in advance.

Bez>

I came in too late to see the previuos posts about how serious this is getting.NUFLOR and PREDEF follow all instructions on the bottles keep calves in a well ventilated clean area and if it is that cold put little sweaters(Not joking it does really help) on "Susie and Friday" to keep there chests warm that temp is way too high you are going to lose tham both if you don't do something drastic.This is to everybody Micotil is twenty years old throw it out it is junk.

Good news. This morning, Susie drank her whole bottle (2 L ) ,her ears are not back but her temp is still 103.1. Friday's temp was 101 last night. What would be a normal temp for a calf? The day promises to be sunny and warm (14 degrees) and their pen is nice and clean. Still hear the odd cough from Susie.

Bez, thanks alot for the warning about Microtel. I will let my husband give it tomorrow as I really have trouble giving needles to my own animals but have stuck needles in horses for 25 years. I will tell him to wear gloves maybe. Will the Microtel bring the temperature down more? Is there anything else I could do about the high temperature or just let the drug do its thing?

103 isn;t really abnormal for a claf. A few sources claim that it is normal for a calf and 101 is normal for a cow.

dun

newbie":7hucd98m said:
Good news. This morning, Susie drank her whole bottle (2 L ) ,her ears are not back but her temp is still 103.1. Friday's temp was 101 last night. What would be a normal temp for a calf? The day promises to be sunny and warm (14 degrees) and their pen is nice and clean. Still hear the odd cough from Susie.

Bez, thanks alot for the warning about Microtel. I will let my husband give it tomorrow as I really have trouble giving needles to my own animals but have stuck needles in horses for 25 years. I will tell him to wear gloves maybe. Will the Microtel bring the temperature down more? Is there anything else I could do about the high temperature or just let the drug do its thing?

You can give it aspirin, but as with antibiotics, make sure you also give a probiotic...even if it's yogurt.

Bez, I stuck myself in the tongue :oops: with a needle that had nuflor in it...I'm still here...altho I didn't think I'd ever get that taste outta my mouth or the feeling back in my tongue.

Alice

Thanks Dun, perhaps my temps are not too bad after all. Susie drank another 2 ltres tonight but I know that she is still not up to par. Her temp was 102 but she was still pretty quiet compared to the wild animal Friday. Susie is due another shot of Microtel (1 1/2 ml.) tomorrow and hopefully that will top her off. Still hear Friday coughing the odd time but still is very spunky. She just figured out how to drink water from the bucket yesterday and the water bucket was almost empty today. When Susie gets over being sick then perhaps on the weekend I will start on bucket feeding. Does it ever get easy???/ Soon I have to leave for work at 6am and might not bet back until 7pm. Have told my older son that soon he will be responsible for feeding them when they get home from school off the bus around 4pm. Cheers to you all!

Alice":14n3qx99 said:
newbie":14n3qx99 said:

You can give it aspirin, but as with antibiotics, make sure you also give a probiotic...even if it's yogurt.

Bez, I stuck myself in the tongue :oops: with a needle that had nuflor in it...I'm still here...altho I didn't think I'd ever get that taste outta my mouth or the feeling back in my tongue.

Alice

Alice, I must hijack this thread and ask how you managed to do that???? :shock:

Latest posts