calf grazes on knees

Help Support CattleToday:

mjnetex

Reaction score
A friend who leases out her pasture is wondering why one on the calves--perhaps six months old--grazes on her knees. She walks normally but is always on her knees when grazing. She hasn't seen her drink. I would guess that she can't lower her head for some reason but I told her I would ask the "experts". Anybody seen this before?

My Dad bought some Holstein steers and one of them does this. It walks a little tender footed though and seems to have some swelling around the ankles. It will get up and run to feed but you can catch it grazing on it's knees all the time.

Mine do that to get just a little further on the other side of the electric fence.. never seen it happen in the pasture.

I did have a cow that would often sit on her haunches like a dog... was pretty funny to see.. she'd do it for 10 minutes at a time too

Never had one do it that was that old. Only younger if they had contracted tendons and their legs got tired. Now I have seen baby colts spread their legs way apart to reach the ground to eat when their necks were shorter than their legs!

Does it seem tender footed when it walks? Could have sore feet for some reason would be my guess.

My friend says it walks normally, but I'll take a good look at it as soon as I can.

jerry27150":2p31a9v8 said:
young lambs used to do this when they were low on selimium
That really make sense to me, I think you might be on to it!
Won't hurt to give it some for sure.

My guess is look for lameness in the front OR in the back end. At a guess try BOTH front, or back feet.
I have seen this in sheep rather than cattle. If sheep then it has been due to lameness.

Sheep that we have had the vet autopsy had erysipelas (sp?) a bacterial infection in the joints in my sheep mostly affecting the hip joints plus other joints. If it is even both sides you wont necessarily pick the limp.

Next is sheep whose hooves were burnt off and were lame, again if it is both feet, either front or back, equally, then there might not be a very obvious limp. Any chance of foot abscess in both feet?

The suggestion it could be a sore neck also sounds good to me.

If it was a calf of mine, so long as you didnt want to sell it Russian/Saudi eligible, I would give it Tetracycline at the dose you would give a foot abscess. If not then Penicillins. If it stops doing it, then it was an infection.

I think Ozhorse has a point with joint infections. In the case of a calf, the most probable cause would be from navel ill. Navel ill spreads to the joints and even internal organs if left untreated. I would agree, you can't go wrong with trying Selenium and an antibiotic. But ultimately a good examination of the feet and legs is needed.

Latest posts