calf do but no calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hi Dun, no there is NO other bulls around.LOL, I has a contract with the bull owner the dates are right 8/10/07.
dun":1iy8aani said:
He could be if he was with her a month longer then you thought. Either that, there is a neighbors bull sneaking around or her name should be Mary

glad you had a healthy calf born what was its weight? Were their any other bulls across the fence from your cattle. I saw a bull breed a cow through a fence thought it was going to be his last breeding but everything was ok.

Jeff

No there is no other bull any were close to me!!!! But I have a steer??????????????? 17 month old he is white his father was a black Angus my neighbor castrated him for me the day he was born he 87 years old and has don many calfs in his life time but?? I am thinking he is not a steer?? I got him Stanton and felt him and I am not shore but I think there is something there????here is a pic of him could a white bull??breed to a red shorthorn give a pure black calf??[/[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p64/MannySarria/hornsteerwithherd.jpg[/img]url]

M.Sarria":3ashtau8 said:
She had her black bull calf yesterday 6/27/08 nice and healthy looking. So the last day the BULL was her was 8/10/07, and he was a registered black Angus bull.

Are you sure you have your dates right? The math doesn't work for me. Generally I subtract 3 months from the date the cow was covered. If it was the last day 8/10/07 I'd get 5/10/07, add 8 days to that and get 5/18/07. I then figure the calf a year after the 5/18/07 date. Hence I'd expect the calf 5/18/08 and it is generally in the ball park.

Yes the date are correct so every one is saying the black angus bull I took back on 8/10/07 no way can be the father of the black calf born 6/27/08 right?????Again there no other bull any were!!!!!! so can the white angus cross "steer" in the pitcher if not a steer breed to my red shorthorn cow give me a pure black calf???

M.Sarria":36a6wrb1 said:
Yes the date are correct so every one is saying the black angus bull I took back on 8/10/07 no way can be the father of the black calf born 6/27/08 right?????Again there no other bull any were!!!!!! so can the white angus cross "steer" in the pitcher if not a steer breed to my red shorthorn cow give me a pure black calf???

I am not assuming or "saying" anything except the math doesn't work for me. I have had them come earlier than expected. I have had them come a bit late too. But this one is about 6 weeks past due and I just thought you might want to double check your date records.

For all I know, you are exactly right.

If a calf is 6 weeks late I would expect it to weigh well over a 100 lbs, maybe closer to 150.

dun":bn2b9lxo said:
If a calf is 6 weeks late I would expect it to weigh well over a 100 lbs, maybe closer to 150.
Is my understanding that after a certain amout of time over due, the placenta will start to break down, become less efficient in its purpose and the baby will begin to lose weight as a result. No?

angie":kii7g806 said:
dun":kii7g806 said:
Is my understanding that after a certain amout of time over due, the placenta will start to break down, become less efficient in its purpose and the baby will begin to lose weight as a result. No?

We could pull one out at 9 months 8 days to weigh it. Then we just put it back in and wait until the cow is ready. :shock: :shock: Weigh it again in six weeks if it goes that long and see what the difference is. :D :D That will save all arguments right?? We will all know for sure whether it is fact or myth :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I have never known of a cow being 6 weeks late. It probably has happened a few times.

Dun, the calf was not big at all maybe 65 lbs or so I will post a pic of it today. I seen or steer trying to mount one of the cows today???
dun":765fy8ha said:

M.Sarria":72pzwjc3 said:
Dun, the calf was not big at all maybe 65 lbs or so I will post a pic of it today. I seen or steer trying to mount one of the cows today???

I am starting to wonder if that steer was a high flanker and someone missed one testical when castrated. It seems to be the only logical and possible answer out there other than naming the cow "Mary".

Jeff

Latest posts