calf diphtheria - how contagious?

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Curiousity question for those of you who have dealt with this before... how contagious do you find it to be? I have a suspected case here and wondering 1) what the risk factor for the other calves she's with is, and 2) what the risk factor is for my boss's herd, since I'm down there on a regular basis and I've never seen it in his herd before. Would hate to introduce something new to a relatively-closed herd.

Thanks-
MM

We have never found it to be terribly contagious. We will see 1-2 cases a year, not often more than that. And this is in a herd of about 140 head. We don't separate the sick ones unless it is to make it easier to treat them.

Also, all the info I have found about it says it itn't really contagious unless you have unsanitary conditions or stressed cattle. I think if you use normal precautions you should be fine with your boss's herd, and the rest of yours.

I've only had 1 case of calf diphtheria on my place. It didn't seem to be to contagious.

MM, my vet told me that diphtheria is caused by the same bacteria as foot rot. I think it needs an entry point, eg; a scratch or irritation in the throat generally. I've had one case. It was very persistent but no other calves came down with it.

Latest posts