Calf Coat/warmer

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a calf coat/calf warmer? I have 2 calves that should be born in January and where I live winters can be harsh. The calves will have access to a barn at all times, they will also be with their mothers. I am just wondering if I am wasting my money purchasing these coats. Thanks for your advice.

I don't think I've ever seen a coat for a calf before, but around here (-40 winters), we simply mug the little fella, dry him off good with a towel and hair dryer, and boot him back outside. Lots of straw and shelter against wet snow/wind is all you need.

I've also got an open faced shelter with some pens in it. In the corner of each pen I attached a little ceramic heater. Same idea as the hair dryer. Fire the cow/calf into the shelter, turn on the heater, and when the little guy is dried off and has his first suck, fire him back outside.

Rod

I'm picturing Caustic frantically knitting.... the little ball of yarn at his feet.. ;-)

As long as the cow and calf have some type of shelter or windbreak, they should be fine. It's a good idea to have whatever is close to calving close by so you can keep an eye on it. You want to prevent any type of calving difficulties if you can!

We don't get temps down in the 40 below area, but in the winter it can get bone chilling cold, especially with the wind. We have those calf hutches/houses and they provide wonderful shelter. On those bone chilling days and nights, however, I do put bedding in for the babies to wiggle down into.

Last fall/winter, when the leaves had fallen off the trees, I raked up huge garbage bags full and that's what I used for bedding. It worked really well.

Alice

Alice":tob0akg3 said:
We don't get temps down in the 40 below area, but in the winter it can get bone chilling cold, especially with the wind. We have those calf hutches/houses and they provide wonderful shelter. On those bone chilling days and nights, however, I do put bedding in for the babies to wiggle down into.

Last fall/winter, when the leaves had fallen off the trees, I raked up huge garbage bags full and that's what I used for bedding. It worked really well.

Alice

Ha, Ha. I got a friend of mine in Nebraska who is always telling me how cold it is down there. Usually I tell her that's still t-shirt weather. Just curious. How cold is 'bone chilling cold' in Texas?

Up here in Montana, we just calve out in the hay meadows - we have a wind break up for them and spread lots of straw down so they don't have to lay in the snow - we start calving Feb 1st and they always seem to time it to a blizzard or at least some serious below zero temps - we ride them horseback at night for the 2 weeks or so it takes to get them all done - we only bring one in if she's having trouble and needs some serious help. But pretty much just towel them off tag em and get them up and momma takes care of the rest. I have had to bring a few up to the house if for some reason the cow doesn't want to take the calf - so we can get her penned in a corner and get the little guy some milk.
That said, there is a dairy down the road from us that uses calf coats on it's bottle babies - no warmth from momma I guess - they look pretty cute in their little "dog houses" with coats on though!

Cattle Rack Rancher":xm4v8vfx said:
Alice":xm4v8vfx said:

Alice

Ha, Ha. I got a friend of mine in Nebraska who is always telling me how cold it is down there. Usually I tell her that's still t-shirt weather. Just curious. How cold is 'bone chilling cold' in Texas?

One year I remember a wind chill factor of -20, and to me, that's bone chilling cold...especially when it's overcast and the wind is blowing like crazy. I don't know how cold the temp. has to be to have a wind chill factor of -20...-20 is all I needed to hear to set me in high gear when I got out in it.

Alice

be nice caustic....get em the coats....the temperature regulating area of the brain stem does not operate until they are a few weeks old....wind chill can be a real killer....specially if ma is not the fastidious type about looking after them....what kid???? kid??? what is that???? :D

I bought 2 at an auction for $1.00 for the "just in case" situation. Been sitting in the barn where I set it 4 yrs ago after getting home from the sale.

With my luck, by having it, I will never need it.

travlnusa":319y4h8a said:
I bought 2 at an auction for $1.00 for the "just in case" situation. Been sitting in the barn where I set it 4 yrs ago after getting home from the sale.

With my luck, by having it, I will never need it.

And that's a good thing. :) Z

I can't say that I've seen 'coats' for calves, either. Cows calve in the pasture, heifers are penned when they get very close to calving so I can check them. No bedding (except uneaten hay) for the cows, heifers get straw if the corrals are mucky. Occasionally a calf will be bottled if born in a driving snow/rain storm, and they are slow to respond due to the cold. Usually the mother takes care of delivering, cleaning, drying, and feeding her calf with no intervention necessary. If the temps are very cold, and the calf had to be pulled, mother and calf are put in a pen under the open calving shed. Once in a very great while (last one was 4 years ago), a calf will end up on my porch, or in the feed shed overnight.

It would be great if you can post the video of the coat instillation, I sure that mama cow will really appreciate her calf's new attire...may even want to help in the process.

Kidding aside...get the calf dried off as soon as possible and keep it out of the wind.

Last March a Lim heifer calved out in the pen in the snow...moved the calf and mama under the loafing shed in the straw and went in for the night. In the morning they both were
under a tree covered with snow and doing fine. Susie made me put them both in the barn.

Dry and out of the wind is the key. DMc

*Cowgirl*":3hnobfaj said:
I think I hear caustic coming........

I'm sure he's used one MANY, MANY times. Probably just decided it was easier to bring 'em in the house and warm 'em up - after he gets done petting the MOMMY COW !!!!!

He's gonna kill me now - no T-giving at Caustic's for me.

Latest posts