Calf Catcher Pulled by ATV

Help Support CattleToday:

Jfaulken

Reaction score
I was watching RFD TV (Prairie Farm Report) awhile back and they had an invention to help catch new born calves. It was offset to the left or right side (can't remember which side) of the ATV and was pulled behind the ATV. It had an opening that would allow you to pull up beside the calf and close a door to trap it inside of the cage, to allow tagging weighing or doctoring without being bothered by the mother. I'm not very good at building anything and was wondering if anyone knows where these might be built and sold. Looks like the one that I originally saw was out of Canada. Thanks Jon

Sounds like the calf may have to be half dead to allow itself to be caught in something like that. :roll: I know mine wouldn't stand for it.

I actually saw it in action and it worked very well, also I mostly want it for an hour or two old calves so I can get an accurate birth weight and get a tag in its ear for a registered herd. Had too many close calls last calving season, looking for options.

One option might be to give mom a little time to settle down. If she's trying to clean your clock, come back when she's in a better mood. If an ATV can pull it, wouldn't you think that a worked up cow could flip it? But then, I don't think I'd trust those shark cages either.

Lee

jfaulken,

Have not seen them for sale. But, you are on the right track. We built ours years ago.

It is a 8'x8' cyclone fence design cage with posts at all four corners and a rail at top and bottom on a 3 point hitch set-up. Braced from post to post (lower to top) with a trap type side door.

We back up to the calf or near by and push the calf inside. Gotta pick the time to grab the calf. Once inside we are relatively safe. If need be we strap the calf to the inside-side with a strap around the neck just behind the head and straps behind the front legs and in front of the back legs and head to the barn. Mom can see the calf and will follow. If not,when we finish we just raise the unit and drive off leaving the calf there for mom's reunion. We try to get the calves born in the field within 12 hours. They are not so coordianted yet. The sides have been stretched a bit from a more agressive mom. It's a lot safer. If you build one don't forget to build in a small wire type shelf arrangement for box of instruments,meds,etc.

I won't let anyone approach a new born calf in the open field. To many near misses. We are glad to see an agressive mom so that we have a chance to out-do the yotes,etc.

It works.

I was gunna try to design one built out of cattle panels and 2 walk in gates on the ends that hooks to a quick attach loader bucket to place over the calves

it would be better on 3pt i have an article in a farm maggazine on two modles a guy built becasue if u haev it on the loader u have to climb down or along the frotn rather than hope over the (exception cabbed trtactors) o and good cows liek we have lol they dont try anything right now we have a beef heifer in a stanchon becasue her claf died and her mother was a wild b$%^# lol and she tame we cna mik her on a dairy cow milker

Latest posts