Calf born on Tuesday -

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
My first so I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. Mom and calf seem to be doing good, calf is getting her milk from mom and the mother instinct has come out in mom (this is her first). We were going to have the vet out to look everyone over but if they seem to be doing okay - so I was going to pass on having him come out - what do you think? Also, my husband asked me if we needed to milk her as her teats seem to be full but I told him no, the calf will take care of that - correct? Mom is on chop feed I get from the feed store and I give her some alfalfa cubes in with the feed - do I need to supplement her diet because of the calf? Thanks for all your help.

Kerry":2m4jq688 said:
My first so I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. Mom and calf seem to be doing good, calf is getting her milk from mom and the mother instinct has come out in mom (this is her first). We were going to have the vet out to look everyone over but if they seem to be doing okay - so I was going to pass on having him come out - what do you think? Also, my husband asked me if we needed to milk her as her teats seem to be full but I told him no, the calf will take care of that - correct? Mom is on chop feed I get from the feed store and I give her some alfalfa cubes in with the feed - do I need to supplement her diet because of the calf? Thanks for all your help.
I see no need to call the Vet out, why spend the money if all's seems well? Just keep the Cow on Pasture, and feed good quality Hay.You can give her a little feed, just to keep her and the Calf tame.

If they are doing ok I wouldn't worry about the vet. What breed is the cow? You won't have to milk her if she is a beef breed most likely. If she is a dairy cow you may have to. You could put another calf on her if she is.

She is a Dexter - a dual purpose as they call them if you are not familiar with Dexter's.

All our newborns get a shot of long lasting penicillin, Bo-Se selenium,Vitamin A-D,Nasalgen (in nose) , Calf Guard (orally) Nutridrench (orally). This protical has worked real good for us. I'm not saying what you need or don't need in your area but I would sure check with my Vet and get their recommendations.An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, especially with scours.

Kerry":26p0ud4g said:
My first so I have a few questions if anyone can help me out. Mom and calf seem to be doing good, calf is getting her milk from mom and the mother instinct has come out in mom (this is her first). We were going to have the vet out to look everyone over but if they seem to be doing okay - so I was going to pass on having him come out - what do you think?

The calf is cleaned off, up, nursing, and Mom is taking care of her. No reason to call the vet.

Also, my husband asked me if we needed to milk her as her teats seem to be full but I told him no, the calf will take care of that - correct?

Milking the cow is not needed - that's the job of the calf, and she will do far more easily and with fewer complications than you ever could - trust me on this!

Mom is on chop feed I get from the feed store and I give her some alfalfa cubes in with the feed - do I need to supplement her diet because of the calf? Thanks for all your help.

I'm not familiar with chop feed and you don't mention how many pounds of alfalfa cubes or whether this cow is on pasture, so I can't really answer this question without a little more information and some clarification. Sorry.

Sounds like all is well. If penned, keep it clean. Watch for scours, a clean pen will go along way in preventing this condition. We typically give the nursing cows a bit more grain
to assist in maintaining condition and help fatten the milk. Just our way of doing it. Soundl like these animals are going to be your pets, work with them every day and be gentle and patient
remember that their stomach is thirty times the size of their brain so you can figure out what their primary focus is...you are associated with food not love and affection.
Good luck with your new arrival.
DMc

Susie David":1tiowonc said:
We typically give the nursing cows a bit more grain to assist in maintaining condition and help fatten the milk.

If the cows are getting adequate protein from the hay/cubes/pasture there is no need for grain and the grain just raises the overhead of the producer. Our cows raise good calves on no grain, but they have adeqate (sp?) protein and nutrients in their feed and have free access to mineral and salt year round.

Latest posts